Select Similar Tool Problem

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have seen it not working within groups, symbols, viewports and other container type objects, but not failing to work anywhere within a file.

Is anyone having a problem with the Select Similar tool after the 2015 upgrade? It's not working at all for me.

If you create a new blank file and place a few Rectangles in it, does Select Similar work there to select them all?

I gave it a try as Jim described and the Select Similar Tool worked fine though it did not pick up rectangles after they were grouped.

Did a quick check of a few files created in 2015 and 2014, both design and annotated sheet layers, without any problems.

Mac OS vs. Windows problem?

Bob

I was trying to use select similar during editing of viewport annotations. I have a plan of data cables each color coded by length and each length in its own class. So I was trying to figure out how many of each cable I needed.

The classes for the different cables were not active in the Navigation Palette. So that prevented me selecting them.

I can see them, I can click on them, I can edit them, I can move them, but I cannot "select similar" them. Evidently select similar is tied to the navigation palette. So even though those classes are active in my viewport, they need to be active in the navigation palette to use select similar.

I wish that select similar would work for objects that are in groups. I use a lot of groups which makes the select similar tool not as useful. For simply counting the number of a particular object, I copy everything to a new file, ungroup all, and then use select similar. Then I can see how many of an object I have. I then dispose of that file.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I have an odd one when using the select similar tool with the Other > Size option only selected as my preferences. If one of the symbols or items I'm wanting to grab is rotated in top plan view its no longer regarded as being the same size. I.e. If squares are what I'm grabbing and one of them is rotated 45° to look like a diamond, when I use select similar its no longer the same size in its eyes. This is quite unhelpful. Thanks guys!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I have an odd one when using the select similar tool with the Other > Size option only selected as my preferences. If one of the symbols or items I'm wanting to grab is rotated in top plan view its no longer regarded as being the same size. I.e. If squares are what I'm grabbing and one of them is rotated 45° to look like a diamond, when I use select similar its no longer the same size in its eyes. This is quite unhelpful. Thanks guys!

Confirmed here as well. Even a set of simple rectangles with a few of them rotated at 45 degrees (but at 90 they work, oddly, even thought their width and height then switches) skips the rotated instances. Submitting as an issue now.

• 5 years later...

Hi @AllisonCPA ,

Could you elaborate a little more? I just drew 5 dimension objects in a Viewport Annotation and I was able to select them all using Object Type as the criteria. It also works if I only have Font as my lone criteria. What option(s) do you have selected for the tool? Do you get a dialog stating "The selected activation options can't be used for this object."?

Raymond

As a test, try this. Go to Vectorworks Preferences:Interactive Pane: Interactive Appearance Settings. Change the Object Highlighting options that are currently red or orange to different colors so you can obviously see what type of highlighting it is.

In my (mostly) stock system, I see Pre-selection-Active Layer is kind of a light orange, Pre-selection-Inactive Layer and Object Highlighting-Inactive Layer are a dark orange, and Tool Highlighting is Red.

If you change those to things like purple, blue, green, yellow you will be better able to see which type of highlighting is taking place and probably better able to troubleshoot.

If you settings are like mine and the Red is the Tool Highlighting, it sounds like the Select Similar is finding the objects. I don't know why it is not actually selecting them.

I think I've actually figured out the issue, although it doesn't seem right.

the dimensions were in a class that was turned off in my navigation palette, but visible in the viewport. This doesn't make any sense to me - if I'm in a viewport, my navigation settings should be irrelevant? The viewport controls class visibility? 

anyways, once I turned the class on, even though it's on... I was able to select similar the dimensions.

Thanks,

Allison 

• 10 months later...