Text Options on Right Click when Text is active

grant_PD

Question

I'd like to have the right click be contextual to the tool being used. In addition to the user customizable right click, engaging the text tool and then right clicking with a text box selected should bring up things like: text size, formatting, style (think MS Office).

I could see this being very useful for several tools.

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would this be triggered ONLY if the right-click did not occur over a piece of geometry that had its own contextual menu items? Or would it simply add to the contextual list? The context being both the object that was right-clicked on as well as the currently active tool?

Good questions. Let's say that I hovered over the text box, I guess I would want the contextual menu to come up then. I mean, why else would I hover over the text box?

VW suffers greatly from OverPalleteReliance. There are too many places I need to go to in order to change things, enter info. Those 1/2 second mouse moves add up over the day, slowing down the work and killing the wrist.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would this be better done as a new UI element rather than simply adding to the existing contextual right-click menu? A sort of pop-out settings menu or set of buttons similar to the floating data bar? With a user-controllable timer for how long the hover needed to be to pop up the options, as can be set for smartcursor cues?