export pdf file size

need help ... I import a pdf scanned drawing, then I put it in a sheet layer viewport and export a pdf file of the sheet layer. The problem is, the pdf file export size is huge (38 Meg), even though the scanned image is a simple line drawing. How can I make the exported file be much smaller so that I can email it ?

I reduced the dpi of the sheet layer but that didn't seem to help. The imported pdf file is a scanned document, and therefore the "snap to geometry" checkbox also doesn't help. I also noticed the new feature about cropping imported pdf files doesn't work .... so I assume it must work only when the imported pdf file is made from an application, that is, when it is a scan from a copier, then it is not possible to crop the pdf image. .

in case anyone cares ... here is the world's worst work-around for this problem: I used the render bitmap tool to render (in RW not Open GL) an image of the imported pdf file. Then I cut and pasted the bitmap image into the annotations of the viewport, then turned off the design layer in the viewport. When I exported the pdf sheetlayer, the size is now down to 500K, not 38 Meg.

There has to be a better method to reduce exported pdf file size. Anyone have an idea ?

Another way to reduce the file size of a PDF that has images is to open it in PDF editing software (e.g. Adobe Acrobat) and use the reduce file size option of that software.

I've noticed in the past that images get exported in full size and if the paper size is reduced compared to the original size then the resolution of the image goes up, because the number of pixels remains the same. I don't know if this is as designed or that Vectorworks is not exporting properly.

By reduce file size in a PDF editor you can reduce the resolution of the image in the PDF file and also change the compression method and bit depth if necessary. Often this reduced the files with 50-90% (i.e. half to a tenth of the orginal size).