File set up with new Layer-less levels

Christiaan

Guest Wes Gardner

Here is a worksheet that I will use to teach model set-up using levels, layers and stories. It is intended primarily for new construction but can be adapted to renovation work.

Begin by determining what is desired for Ceiling Height, then work through the known thicknesses of materials, etc. You now have all the dimensional criteria to enter into the various fields for Default Level info, story height, etc. You can rename your level types to suit.

I’ve been told that this is “overly complex”, the reasoning was that you don’t need a ceiling level/layer. Fine, don’t use it. The Finish Floor level and its layer “Floor” is used (or not) because those values may or may not be known and are subject to change...I draw walls on the Floor layer and set interior doors on that layer as well, this lets the bottom of the door and its trim to be set at the correct elevation.

I set footings in a separate class and on a separate layer so they are easier to draw under the already drawn foundation walls.

Edited by Wes Gardner
How are people tending to set up their files now that we have Layer-less levels? Are you still keeping your structural slabs on a separate layer for instance?

If the building is complex it would be good to keep the slab in a different layer, but if it is not complex, use a class to control visibility. Foundations and the slab are often easier to have in their own layer.

I like the worksheet from Wes. it would be useful to mark this up for each project to show what levels are needed, and what names you have used for each level.

With my brief experimentation, for me the tricky part is setting the wall styles components to bind to specific layers and levels while allowing me the flexibility to override it in the OIP when I see fit. It's difficult to determine how the wall will adjust/behave when playing with the overall binding controls in the OIP without knowing exactly how each components binding settings are in the wall style.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey All,

Be careful with your OIP...it will display the binding conditions for the container class of the wall style but DOES NOT show the binding conditions for the individual components. This could inadvertently lead to confusion.

I've also included a screen shot of a little building that uses that set-up worksheet as well as a.vwx file with a wall style including levels, layers and stories.

I've also included the beginings of a wall section showing how all the modeled parts come together.

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner

Wes

Thanks for the Worksheet - Helps to explain the nomenclature of the level settings embedded in VW! I have been confused as to what exactly the top and bottom of the structure was intended to define. Worksheet makes it pretty clear - the top and bottom of the structural framing associated with the with story.

Could you post the file that created the building shown in the two *.png files.

It might answer a couple of questions that I have i.e.:

How was the stepped footing and foundation wall created?

How are the components of the slab styles defined

How much of the section is created from the underlying components?

- specifically how was the brick ledge created in the poured concrete wall

- were the roof sheathing and ceiling material associated with the roof face or added manually to the section,

Thanks

Rick Bohl

Wes:

Unfortunately there is a printing problem with PDF's out of the initial version of 2015. Your model setup pdf piles all the text in each note on top of itself and is illegible. This has happened to me on two different printers. Any chance you could reprint w spk 2?

thanks

-J

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Wes:

Unfortunately there is a printing problem with PDF's out of the initial version of 2015. Your model setup pdf piles all the text in each note on top of itself and is illegible. This has happened to me on two different printers. Any chance you could reprint w spk 2?

thanks

-J

Are you printing from Adobe Reader or Acrobat and seeing this text issue? What occurs when you open the PDF in Preview and print?

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey All,

Jim will need to work through your printing issues...(sorry to dump on you Jim)

As far as the model...

All GREAT questions. I'll send out the model to anyone who wants it... It IS a work in progress so things are not all the way worked out – I continue to test/push things to get as close to "real world" building conditions as possible – to me, that IS BIM…

Wes

Guest Wes Gardner

Here are some answers to Rick's questions...

The stepped foundation uses “wall peaks” and the Reshape Tool to add nodes and drag them to where you need them…

Slab Style components are set up with “sub floor” as the “datum”

ALL of the sectional information comes from the model

Brick ledge was created with wall peaks as well – in the wall style only the outer component of the foundation wall is “allowed” to “Follow Wall Peaks” – a little trickery going on there…I need some time to get the line weight working here...

Roof was modeled in three pieces, one for the ceiling (since it’s vaulted), one for the sheathing and one for the rafter space. Things could be different soon...

Regarding the Set-up Worksheet - I think I'd create one for each building type you're working on so that it's a little more specific...this one was just a start...there WILL be more...

Stand by

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Mitch,

That file is just the set up with the levels and stories and a wall style - no modeled elements, I'll send you the file separately as it's bigger than the board can handle...

Wes

JW:

Sorry for the delayed response.

Printing out of acrobat XI pro and from preview (doesn't matter). Garbled text was happening both native out of 2015 and export to pdf. The issue is in the creation of the PDF, not its printing if same results in pdf and direct from 2015. Seems to have fixed itself in sp 1 which was why I was asking him to export and post. Did not have the problem in 2014 or in 2015 sp1. plotting to a new hp 36" T520.

-J

• 4 months later...