Text Tracking

anshu

Question

I use the new text tracking feature a lot. It has saved my constant tapping on the spacebar, but why can't we apply the feature to a text style? It's rather annoying that every text block has to have the tracking applied to it... Wish that I could make it the default for everything. Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

24 answers to this question

Everything is obvious once you think of it ;)

Yup.

Would the desired behavior be a tracking setting applied via a text style, controlled within its settings, with an override option per-text object in the Object Info Palette just in case?

Yes.

Talking to Julian from OzCAD, for him the higher priority in text styles is the ability to be able to override some style attributes. A bit like how you can override some aspects of a class style. Currently if you change any text attribute, it becomes unstyled.

Maybe the text style needs to have settings that are similar to how the attributes panel works. So that a text object doesn't become unstyled if it is altered, maybe it can have settings that default to the text style, but individually can be overridden without changing the text style.

Does that make sense?

PS As I seem to keep going on about this, but obviously the hard part of this is making a text interface that is sensible and intuitive. Ideas are worth jack without good implementation. Thanks again.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Talking to Julian from OzCAD, for him the higher priority in text styles is the ability to be able to override some style attributes. A bit like how you can override some aspects of a class style. Currently if you change any text attribute, it becomes unstyled.

Maybe the text style needs to have settings that are similar to how the attributes panel works. So that a text object doesn't become unstyled if it is altered, maybe it can have settings that default to the text style, but individually can be overridden without changing the text style.

Does that make sense?

Yes indeed. I'll submit that as a separate request though, its a bit wider-ranging of a request and may take longer.

Also being able to default text styles to the class colour containing the text object would would be great. Thanks again.

Hi Jim,

Did we get anywhere with this particular request?

I have just had a colleague attempting to change the colour to a detail marker. The marker colour changed, but the text did not. Took me a few seconds before I remembered the text style was overriding the colour of the text. Would great to have the request above.

Thank you.

On 03/02/2015 at 11:11 PM, Diamond said:

The answer to this is "yes and no".

Yes, when you do an override on text with a text style it will show as "unstyled" in the OIP.

No, it may not actually become "unstyled" because I noticed on a few occasions that after updating a style the supposedly "unstyled" text got updated too.

It might better if Vectorworks would show styled text without overrides as "normal upright" display of the text style name in the OIP and display the text style name in italics if there are overrides to parts of the text having that text style. That would at least let you know if there is a text style attached to the text or if there is no text style at all attached to that text.

Now there is no way to tell whether a text has any style or no style at all because a style with override will show as no text style.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:23 AM, anshu said:

The annual bump of this post. 

2019 rolls on.

Fellow bump from me as well.

May if some Mr. T, whether from the A-Team or the White House, would show up on their doorstep or twitter feed it might get priority.  😁

Presentation is not just about graphics/images, text is important too so for a program claiming how you can make great presentations without having to use external programs it is simply an oversight not to fix the text handling, text styles etc. as mentioned above and in other discussions. (e.g. support for OpenType features such as proper fractions would be welcome too, as well as import/export of text style from/to other file formats for roundtrip compatibility)

• Like 2

This lack of progress in the text styling/opentype features support is still making VW less usable or even totally not usable for some kinds of work and have to keep doing it in DWG software. It may not be the most fancy/flashy feature to advertise buying VW but it is an essential feature nonetheless if you want to create quality DTP ready output (i.e. without having to resort to DTP style programs to "professionalize" the looks of your text for what is simple common practice in DTP. It's not like we are asking (La)Tex style stuff for creating complex mathematical or chemical formulas)

It would be great if they had a staff member in the code team dedicated to low hanging fruit like this. 

Great way of young coder to get a job and some experience. We all started there we all know how much value it adds to the team to have someone young, green and keen to just get smaller issues out of the way. Plus they generally bring new music to the play list.

• Like 1