Linear Material tool is inaccurate

I just came across this today.

I was using the linear material tool today to create some detail plywood sections set at 3/4". Noticing that the detail was not looking right I applied some dimensions to the plywood and found that it was actually 51/64" instead of 3/4".

Needless to say things can quickly get out of hand with details at say 3" = 1'-0". This reoccurs with each the first 6 selections of the tool.

(By the way notice the fractional dimensions appearing overlapped? This is something new to VW 2015... no matter the font, which is Geneva in this case, I now see this problem with all diagonal fractions)

So I'm trying to complete details this week for a project. I have Section Viewports at 3/4 scale filling a couple of sheets. I took them into VW2015 due to the extreme lag time and crashing caused from working with viewports in VW2014. In this regard 2015 was a life saver.

I now find I am unable to Show the Components of the walls and slabs while still overriding the fill settings either in part or as a whole. This is different then VW2014 and appears to be a bug in VW2015. I've tried about a half dozen ways to emulate the behavior I got in 2014 with no luck.

I resign myself to redraft every component with the Linear Material plug-in but now I find it can't create proper thickness as set in the thickness field. I've started manipulating the thickness to a fraction that appears the correct thickness graphically but as soon as this bug is fixed all of my details will be wrong again.

Any chance SP2 is issued quickly to not only resolve the crashing issues reported with SP1 but also this unworkable quandary I've found myself in?

Joe

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
It seems to me there should be much more beta testers for VW as basic productivity tools should never be issued with such easily identifiable bugs...never!

Agreed. I am a strong proponent of expanding and refining the beta cycle to reduce the occurrence of seemingly "obvious" issues that may happen instantly for some users but never for others.

A broader range of beta testers with varying workflows and backgrounds would improve the software significantly.

• 4 months later...

If anyone is concerned about the accuracy of the Linear Material Tool...it appears to be fixed with SP2 although I don't think I saw it noted in the release notes.

In SP1, the thickness reported in the OIP did not match the graphic thickness drawn.

Joe