VW 2016

zoomer

Question

22 answers to this question

Well, to be honest, it isn't on top of my list.

As most CAD were allway very grey in the past, the 2D Layouts

on VW white background always looked very artistically :)

But of course a darker Ui will put the content more in focus

and is less fatiguing.

Just a few thoughts about the UI :

iOS is flat, OS X gets flat and now even Windows UI gets flat,

so I think a little less depth in VW would fit well.

A little less colored icons could better connect them together.

it doesn't help me much in readability or recognition.

I would separate creating and modifying Tools from the Basic Palette

or even treat the 2D drawing tools just like the 3D modeling tools,

put them into the tool sets.

The transparent Cursor Cues look very invitingly to tune them to

include the U-options from Tool Settings on the fly in cursor reach,

for us visually thinking senile users always forgetting the short cuts.

@ zeroInf: Does this not already do what you want to do? (copied from Vw2015 help file):

Importing Worksheet Data from Another Program

To import a worksheet into the current file, a blank worksheet must exist in the active drawing as a destination for the imported worksheet. During import, the spreadsheet data is imported, but the formulas (logic) are not.

To import worksheet data into a Vectorworks file:

1. From the Resource Browser, select Resources > New Resource > Worksheet.

The Create Worksheet dialog box opens.

2. Specify the same number of rows and columns that are present in the worksheet to be imported.

3. Select File > Import > Import Worksheet.

4. Select the worksheet file to be imported. The worksheet must be in one of the following formats:

- Tab delimited text (.txt)

- Comma delimited text (.csv)

- DIF (.dif)

- SYLK (.slk)

5. Click Open. The worksheet is imported into the open worksheet in the Vectorworks file.

I am currently running VW 2013 and rendering in C4D using the Cinema4D_Export_VW2011_US.vwplugin transfer plugin provide by Maxon with great success and smooth very fast workflow.

I know that VW has now incorporated the C4D export directly into their workflow which is nice. But unfortunately failed to incorporate the most vital export command, export by "texture only" something originally offered by Maxon (C4D).

Additionally the file structure of the new imported file does not allow for a 2 way workflow which was previously available and allowed the C4d model to auto update upon transfer from VW. Now if an update is preformed all materials and changes to materials must be re modified before re rendering. fine in a small project but time consuming in Hi end work. Likewise If the Hi res materials which are useable in C4d are embedded into our VW files the files become to large to operate.

Additionally, If you make changes to an object in VW14 that is made of several "extrudes" like a building and then send C4d file using the new transfer all material usage is supper seeded and the model extrudes become phantoms objects in C4d? it appears no mater how the model is sent the moved model pieces retain their original insertion point but are visible in the new relocated area and are not selectable? This makes it impossible to select anything in C4d as a project evolves. See quick movie link

[video:youtube]

Edited by gwtietjen
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I am currently running VW 2013 and rendering in C4D using the Cinema4D_Export_VW2011_US.vwplugin transfer plugin provide by Maxon with great success and smooth very fast workflow.

I know that VW has now incorporated the C4D export directly into their workflow which is nice. But unfortunately failed to incorporate the most vital export command, export by "texture only" something originally offered by Maxon (C4D).

Additionally the file structure of the new imported file does not allow for a 2 way workflow which was previously available and allowed the C4d model to auto update upon transfer from VW. Now if an update is preformed all materials and changes to materials must be re modified before re rendering. fine in a small project but time consuming in Hi end work. Likewise If the Hi res materials which are useable in C4d are embedded into our VW files the files become to large to operate.

Additionally, If you make changes to an object in VW14 that is made of several "extrudes" like a building and then send C4d file using the new transfer all material usage is supper seeded and the model extrudes become phantoms objects in C4d? it appears no mater how the model is sent the moved model pieces retain their original insertion point but are visible in the new relocated area and are not selectable? This makes it impossible to select anything in C4d as a project evolves.

Adding this post to the existing request.

Metal is a graphics API, and since it was only released for use on OSX a matter of days ago, no it will not be featured in 2016. It isnt something that applications need to be "ready" for though, its just a newer alternative to existing options like OpenGL or DirectX.

Personal note:

If I had to guess I would not expect to see it any time soon or at all, since we develop for both Mac as well as Windows, we use OpenGL, an API that is supported on both platforms. If we tried to use two completely different graphics systems within Vectorworks it would either significantly increase production costs (we'd need double the engineers to handle the same workload) or significantly decrease development speed (the same engineers would have to do their work twice.)

The benefits of Metal would have to be significant for us to adopt it this early, and it's too new to even know if that would be the case or not for us.

Understood - back on thread topic. :)

Will Marionette allow 2-way functionality between the scripting space and the modeling space? Meaning that, if a Marionette script places a 2d point on a design layer, could you manually move the 2d point and have its position updated in Marionette?

Yes! I have seen demos where a script was created entirely with Marionette, not modeling a single object manually, and then that object was able to take control handle input.

It will allow you to create hands-on plugin objects exactly as the more advanced scripting does.

The changes made manually to the object then just show up as different values in the marionette fields, either by coordinate or length or value etc, whatever it was that control handle was linked to.

Edited by JimW

I doubt it very much, unfortunately, but it wont be long now.

Soon my presence on the forums will drop off for couple of months as I dive into release work, then everyone gets to see everything that I've been drooling over.

Also, its very easy (or automatic, perhaps, i'm still learning it) to expose the variables withing the Marionette nodes as part of a plugin object directly in the OIP:

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12369&filename=Marionette%20lamp.PNG[/img]

Just for reference, the object above was created and is entirely controlled by these nodes:

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12370&filename=Marionette%20lamp%20guts.PNG[/img]

Just to clarify, this was ALL possible before, but required coding ability. Since the huge majority of designers are visual people, this method of object creation comes much more naturally to them.

The crossover of Coder/Architect or Coder/Landscape Designer is not an extremely common one, so the users that DID dive into scripting did extremely well and made themselves many powerful tools that they quite often shared with the rest of the community proudly, but Marionette will make this power more accessible to a much broader spectrum of personality types and professions.

Just noticed the picture of the Marionette guts was impossible to read, here's a zoomed in portion (click the links at the bottom of the post):

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12371&filename=Marionette%20lamp%20guts%20zoom.PNG

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12372&filename=Marionette%20lamp%20guts%20zoom2.PNG

As you can see, its just made up of simple starting objects, rectangles, sweeps, textures, etc, the same as if you made it by hand. but it creates a smart object that behaves exactly as you want it to.

That's really cool! Thanks for posting the added teaser images.

2016 is looking like it's going to be an awesome update, just based on Marionette alone, not to mention Energos, Worksharing, and whatever else the NV elves have been cooking up!

Soon my presence on the forums will drop off for couple of months as I dive into release work, then everyone gets to see everything that I've been drooling over.

It's going to be so lonely without you, JimW!