xl line AutoCAD equivalent

sle7en7

I have a question. Is there a line type or tool which draws an infinite line along the design layer? I used to use "xl line" in AutoCad for lining up objects on a line (take it as a guide line) and I have always been curious if VectorWorks had a similar feature. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Some people use "Snap to Loci" in VW as a substitute for AutoCAD's Xline. But it drives me crazy. You'll get infinite lines everywhere you place a 2D locus. I never use Xlines in AutoCAD so I don't miss them in VW. Also not sure if STL would be close enough to them to satisfy, but worth a try.

Personal View:

In an era of floating data bars, smart snaps and the like that allow accurate drawing on the fly the xl line command is not really necessary.

It has always struck me as being a relic from the days of electronic drafting when precision input was nowhere near as easy.

Edited by mike m oz
Personal View:

In an era of floating data bars, smart snaps and the like that allow accurate drawing on the fly the xl line command is not really necessary.

It has always struck me as being a relic from the days of electronic drafting when precision input was nowhere near as easy.

While I do agree the current snap options are great the oldschool autocad XL line still has its use.

It was the first thing I missed when I started to work with vectorworks!

I have a question. Is there a line type or tool which draws an infinite line along the design layer? I used to use "xl line" in AutoCad for lining up objects on a line (take it as a guide line) and I have always been curious if VectorWorks had a similar feature. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Since the code is so simple I've enabled the plug-in for free in the module I recently announced here:

Install it and you'll have a "guideline" plug-in at your disposal that comes pretty close to the autocad variant.

Note that the linelength won't be infinite as that slows vectorworks down. Instead you set a length.