Extend Tool Gone Forever?

I realize that the Extend tool was replaced by the Connect/ Combine tool in VW9.

After searching the forum it became apparent that many users were upset at the loss of the Extend tool. The ability to extend multiple lines of varying length to another line was a real time saver. I have found no way to replicate this function with the Connect/ Combine tool.

Some users have suggested that the Connect/ Combine tool works differently and is actually much better than the old Extend tool. This may be the case for certain operations but you still can't extend muliple lines with a single click. Having to click and drag each line is a real pain.

How have most users of VW9 and 10 changed their workflow to make up for this lost capability? Trim? Split by line/ point?

I'm going to post in the Wish List that this feature be brought back.

Katie,

The issue is not one of multiple lines extended with one click. It's where the lines you want to extend are a long way from their destination - i.e., far enough away that when you zoom out to see everything, you can't reliably click on the individual lines to be extended. With the extend tool, you can zoom in on all your lines to extend, click on each, done - potentially with only one pan and zoom. With the join tool, I'm constantly panning back and forth between the lines to extend and their target line.

what would be great would be if you could replicate the AC extend command.

ie

Click on the line you wish to extend to.

then click on every line you wish to extend to it, or better yet if you have a row of lines draw a fence line across them to extend them all!!

Would saying please help???

I miss the extend tool for its mutliple extend reasons.

All we had to do in VW8 was select mutliple objects, then click on a boundary line.

I think it would even greater if these lines could extend to the line object - but - also to its imaginary extended line (in case some objects fell off the boundary line's endpoints.

(I can't explain this well)

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

If you still have VW 8 on your computer, can you please explain to me how you were going out selecting MULTIPLE lines and extending them to a boundary box/line with one click?

It's not true that you can extend multiple lines all with one click. You can select multiple boundary objects, and you can extend multiple lines EACH WITH A SINGLE CLICK.

Comparisons between the old Extend tool and the new Connect/Combine tool can only refer to the useless First mode of the Extend tool. That First mode required dragging each line to the boundary (TWO clicks per line, or click-hold-drag-unclick each line), which is no better than stretching with the Selection tool.

It's the Second mode of the Extend tool that we love: select boundary objects, then select Extend tool Second mode, then click once on each line you want to extend. VW extends the end of the line that you clicked on, and extends it to the nearest boundary not already reached. Ah, those were the days.

quote:

Originally posted by Katerina:

I'll create a script for this, and then donate it to VectorDepot.

Ay carumba! Does this mean what I think? That you're going to write a script that recreates the old Extend tool? Bless you! You'll be a national hero.

[ 01-25-2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

It's a done deal!

Katerina is a sweetheart. She has reworked the code I forwarded, and the extend tool we all know & love...at least I love it, is back. I've tried it and it works great!

I guess there are fewer reasons to hold back on that upgrade to V10 now...

Thanks a million Katerina, and maybe you could post it for the masses.

Thank you Ian.

Your sweet [Wink]

--------------------------------------------

There is a plug-in for VW10.

With this extend tool you can extend multiple lines at once if pre-selected, if no pre-selection the extend tool works like mode 2 of VW8, - also extends lines beyond boundary edge points..........you'll see.

I'm trying to post for everyone to have.

If you don't know where to look,

email me

panagiotakis@oldarch.com

Hi Katerina,

Thankyou for your work (and by the look of Vector depot- your generosity)

However, for the sake of Vectorscript Ludites like my self; how do I go about using it?? The Manual is as usual, light on for information ;-)

I put your script into the Plug-ins folder, but then I didn't know what to do next....

Then -in a spirit of enthusiastic ignorance- I opened your script in Text Edit, copied the contents and pasted it into a new script pallette through the Resource browser.

When I double clicked the new script I got the following error message

Line #1: MCVSM Extend to