Mirror + alt = mirror copy

VincentCuclair

Question

17 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well Alt is already relegated in those types of tools to allow selection/deselection of objects after the tool has already been activated.

Is the wish that Alt should instead toggle the mode while pressed and another hotkey be used for selection? or just that there be a modifier that allows temporarily changing the tool's mode?

I think the problem is the legacy OS X setting that

STRG + LMB = RMB

I have other software that ignores that as you can't

do 3D very good with a one button mouse.

Beside that STRG would be a nice Key for Selection,

meaning (-) Deselection only.

SHIFT meaning (+) additional Selection only

(Not deselect when selecting again !!!)

And the ALT setting as it is now, as an option to select

all things touched by the fence instead of included by

the fence,

Could be in the U-Options like Rectangular/Lasso/Polygon

as an "Inner"/"Overlapping"/ and even "Outer" Mode

Edited by zoomer
You can use the U key to toggle between tool modes during a drawing or edit operation.

ie. you can start the operation and then toggle the mode to the required one using the U key and then complete it with that mode.

The backside of this is that it requires me to move my eyes first to the U key then to the mode bar to see if the correct mode is active and subsequently i don't notice an unintentional shift of the mouse that often ends in a faulty mirror line (the alt key i can find without having to look for it). In addition to this the tool then has a different mode when exiting from what i want.......

Edited by Vincent C

Well Alt is already relegated in those types of tools to allow selection/deselection of objects after the tool has already been activated.

Well that is strange because for me the Cmd key has always done this as the default out of the box setting in Osx?!

So I stand by wanting the alt key to be held down for copying....... :)

Sorry, forgot that it was flipped on Mac and Windows. ALT duplicates on one and CTRL on the other. Always annoying setting up hotkeys for both since they have different key sets that cant be changed depending on the OS.

PC is a bit more random when it comes to hotkeys, depending on the application you're using. The Adobe line is pretty consistent but elsewhere developers tend to pick their own.

I think the Mac side had more interest in keeping consistency much earlier in the developmental stages of the personal computer and that has carried over through the years.

On 14.10.2014 at 2:36 PM, Vincent C said:

Please let the mirror tool also work together with the Alt key to give a copy.

On 15.10.2014 at 8:56 AM, Vincent C said:

I also want the alt copy function to work for Rotating!

I would also highly appreciate these features. I could also be ctrl or shift for me, I wouldn't care which. The Move tool works similar for me allready: I use it for allmost all duplicating jobs with reference point, just by holding down ctrl. The U-key thing I also pretty clunky. It is all about having a standard setting (i.e. no duplicating) and controlling duplicating by temporarily holding down a key, like as mentioned above in Adobe.