Multiple Screen Sizes

Jason Stewart

I'm using Vectorworks 2014 on a Macbook Pro, and I was wondering if there was a way to restore palette positions. I occasionally work mobile and use the screen on the laptop, but usually am plugged into an external monitor. Every time I switch, I have to reset the position of all the palettes and I was wondering if there was a way to fix that

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently there is no solid solution for that working environment that I have come across.

The best way to get around it is so create a custom workspace for both monitor setups, switching between them when you change workstations. However, when going from the multi-monitor to single monitor configuration, I believe you have to remember to change the workspace back BEFORE you close Vectorworks prior to doing so, which is cumbersome at best.

I have filed many feature requests based upon this, any additional workarounds or users with similar problems please feel free to chime in.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It breaks down if the user EVER forgets to switch it before launching, one mistake can break it completely. It isn't the fault or lack of effort on any user's part here, I have seen some seriously mad-scientist-level workarounds attempted. It simply needs to be an integrated solution.

I use the 2 workspace solution and have for many years.

I often open VW with the wrong workspace for the moment. If I switch *immediately* then the I don't mess up the palette positions. It may be a factor that I don't open with a new file.

It also helps to memorize the keyboard shortcuts to workspaces. My 2 monitor layout will cover the menu bar on a single screen.

• 6 months later...

I do the same thing - jumping between my MacBook Pro, and my larger external monitor. Like it's been said above, I have two workspaces, one for each screen size, and I just switch between them depending on where I'm working. However, I ALSO have a program called "Stay." It's a mac plug-in that lets you record window arraigments (for pretty much any application) on multiple screens, and then allows you to quickly restore to those layouts when you switch screens. So, between the two workspaces and "stay," it really isn't that big of a headache.

This is the program I'm talking about:

http://cordlessdog.com/stay/

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Reviving this topic.  Just got a new screen, and using the workspace workaround for multiple screen sizes.  Works well, but I had to figure out that once I made changes to the palette locations, I needed to save the palette locations so that it'd update the workspace.  I want to move that command for Save Palette Locations to the workspace dropdown menu, but I don't seem to be able to.

But!  There's a bug, it seems.  When switching between workspaces, the location of the vertical divider in the resource browser when in File Browser mode automatically goes all the way to the left and hides the file browser portion.  It took me a while to figure out what had actually happened.  It's a bit annoying that I have to fix it every time.

Edited by kongdesignld