Redundant control points added to 2D objects after boolean operations

Redundant control points are added to 2D objects after boolean operations. It happens in VW2015 everytime I do a boolean on objects with arc smoothing.

This is very frustrating – especialy since the redundant points are not added symmetrically.

As a result, I can no longer snap reliably to centerpoints.

Is there a fix in the pipeline?

view?usp=sharing

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Kaare and Jim,

I downloaded your file applied the surface command on the 2 objects and see the same problem.

Out of curiosity I then reconstructed Kaare's shape: created 2 rectangles > applied the filet tool on the smaller > dragged them together so they touched > applied the add surface command.

I double clicked on the resultant object and it appeared normal without extra or asymmetric control points. Question: How was the radiused box constructed?

Bob

VW almost always adds those extra corner points on any shape containing curve points. They seem to exist to anchor the curved segments and isolate them from each other. They make curved objects hard to edit after any sort of boolean operation. I tend to go through and delete them but I would prefer if they didn't exist to begin with. I can show you instances where VW has added 20 or 30 points on things like decorative ironwork.

Kevin