• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In 2D there is no automatic creation of shadows for anything other than Plant objects and a few kinds of callout bubbles that I am aware of. The shadowing object would need to be created manually.

Normally if shadows are desired, the model and renders are done in 3D, where they shadows can be calculated by the rendering mode.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to add to this request. Yes, DROP SHADOW'S were added to V2017; however, a drop shadow is nothing more than a 2-dimensional offset of a shape and true shadows are much more complex. Consider a light pole. In top plan, the shape of the pole is a circle, but its shadow is more like a line and depends entirely on sun angle. Currently, the only way to do this is through a rendered view in TOP.

The new drop shadow addition is a step in the right direction, but I don't think the shadow request should be considered completely fixed at this point.

Someday...and I know its a ways off...I imagine an interface that removes the different between top/plan and 3d views but still allows for an orthagonal top/plan view for documentation purposes. Essentially the split between 2d and 3d disappears without sacrificing documentation abilities or realistic rendering capabilities.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The request was specific to 2D drop shadows only, which doesn't have any heights so the shadows would only be as complex as the 2D Drop Shadows now allow for anyway. The combining of 2D and 3D aspects of Vectorworks would be a completely different wishlist item.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

The request was specific to 2D drop shadows only, which doesn't have any heights so the shadows would only be as complex as the 2D Drop Shadows now allow for anyway. The combining of 2D and 3D aspects of Vectorworks would be a completely different wishlist item.

Thanks for clarifying Jim. Will do!