Working planes pallete not working right in 10.0

I have a document created in 9.5.2 which had a saved working plane. When I open the working plane palette after converting to 10.0.1, I am unable to select the working plane or align the screen view to that plane. After creating a new similar plane and using it for a few minutes, the old working plane now works, but can't be deleted. Also, the window for the palette does not appear as it used to (no shaded buttons). I think this tool has gotten corrupted, or somehow doesn't take translation from version 9 very well.

Hi Katie,

Sorry, I didn't give all my info:

VW 10.0.1

WinXP

P4 2.2Gh

768 MB RAM

geforce4 ti 200

By the way, I have another question or two about the operation of working planes with multiple layers. Does changing the working plane in the palette affect all layers globally, or do I have to change working planes layer by layer? Does "align layer view" have any effect on working plane? Does a saved view preserve a working plane setting?

Update: the mode icons on the palette seem to be reversed. The XYZ icon says "Working Plane Mode", and the IJK icon says "Ground Plane." Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Also, I'm have lots of trouble using the numeric keypad to bring up preset views since using the working plane utility. For example, using the "5" key sometimes gives me a 90 degree-rotated side view instead of top view. Possibly related to the "mode" problem?

[ 01-14-2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Katie,

Since my last post, some of the problems with working planes have cropped up using the Win2K system.

Do you have answers to my other questions about layers and working planes? I'm having lots of problems with different layers apparently being on different active working planes. Is that possible? How do I query the program for what working plane is actually active?

The tool palette buttons look different under WinXP than Win2k and other OS's.

You can select the classic display to have the tool bar with start and the programs look like it did in Win2k. This will also change the button icons back to the way they look in win2k.

The other stuff I'm working on. I'm a little backed up with emails and phone call backs at the moment. I'll get to those just as soon as I can.

Katie,

I appreciate your effort, and understand the time crunch. I do want to point out that the difference in the palette is not due to the difference between WinXP and Win2K. I sent you a screen shot showing what it looks like (looks the same in both operating systems). It looks like someone started to do some work on this tool, but never finished.

Restart every day. I tried this out with the archived version of the file on a computer with Win2K - palette still looks different, but back and forward arrows are enabled, and double-clicking on the original working plane icon enables the plane, and clicking on the "Look at working plane" icon works. So it might be an issue on the XP operating system? The Win2k computer also has a different video card - geforce 3 ti 200.

[ 01-15-2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Pete, Yes I am aware the palette isn't different between 2k and XP.

The comment I made was in general about tool bar buttons. They look different on Win Xp than other Win machines if you are using the WinXP display mode. Switching to classic will change things back.