Extrapolating/trend forecasting???

I was just wondering if there is a way to extrapolate cells like you do in excel where you just drag the lower right corner of the cell and it forecasts the trend of the originally selected cells in a vectorworks worksheet?

I know you can't literally do that in a vectorworks worksheet but is there a way around it? For example automatically number certain objects with attached records? Or fill in a range of numbers from 1 to 360 per say.

I guess this brings me to my other question which is really general and a topic of discussion but what are the infringement issues with Microsoft Excel? Meaning what are the obstacles ahead of VectorWorks Worksheet to be more like Excel?

Thank you very much.

Worksheets are similar, but also unsimilar to Excel.

To fill a range of cells, rather than use the FILL commands in Excel, select the cell you want to duplicate and copy it. Then select the range of cells you want filled and paste. The data will be pasted into each cell. If you have multiple cells selected before the copy, it will repeat that set of sells in the selected paste area.

For numbering, create two cells. The first has the number 1 in it (assume A2 is the cell). The second has a formula of =A2+1. That would be call A3. Select cell A3 and copy it. Select Cells A4-A10 and paste. The formulas will update for each cell and you will get a list of number from 1 to 9.

Pat

Hey Pat,

Is there a way to do the numbering thing with database headers. Basically I have 200 something objects with a record attached, I do not want to go around putting numbers into each record value but I just want to automatically number them consecutively from a worksheet. Is there a fast way to do this, sorry I'm in a bit of a time crunch and not being as explorative as I should be... thank you very much.

No easy way to do a database.

Databases can only show information that is default for the object or that is stored in a record. That record can be a PIO record that is part of the creation information of the record (door.width), or it can be a custom record that you have made and attached to the object.

The following script will sequentially number (based on stacking order) all of the objects in a drawing with a Record named Test with a Field named Seq. You could then pull that information into a database by using a formula of ='Test'.'Seq'. The quotes are only necessary if you use record or field names with spaces in them.

You can change the record and field names by chaining the definitions in the Const section of the script.

Procedure Number_Objects;

{October 1, 2014}
{? 2014, Coviana, Inc - Pat Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

const	MyRec='Test';
	MyField='Seq';

Var		NextNum: Integer;

Procedure MyProc(H2:Handle);
Begin
	SetRField(H2,MyRec,MyField,Num2Str(0,NextNum));
	NextNum:=NextNum+1;
End;

Begin
NextNum:=1;
ForEachObject(MyProc,((R IN [MyRec])));
End;

Run(Number_Objects);

Wow Pat, thanks for the script.

Although there is

No easy way to do a database.

,database is the easy way to do other things easy Pat.

Yes, database is the best way to do many things. For me the biggest trick is realizing that you have to put the data into a record to get it to display.

If you need to add notes, add a record.field to the object and type away in the database.

If you need to add a custom multiplier, again add a record.field and enter whatever you want, either from the worksheet or from the OIP.

You can even have just one record format with different field for different uses and ignore the ones you don't need.

Pat