Copy tool and move tool

litesauce

Question

This may just be me.... but is it possible to get a COPY tool as a separate tool from the MOVE tool.

It seems quite innefficient to have a shortcut for the move tool only to have to then mouse click between copy or move.

If someone wants to point out I am doing it wrong please do.

thanks

I'm working 6 years in vectorworks after 13years of autocad and I'm still not used to the copy command.

I also want a 'one button' copy tool and a 'one button' move tool.

Is it possible to connect 2 shortcut keys to one command with different settings?

'c' would be the move/copy tool with the copy preset

'm' would be the move/copy tool with the move preset

• Like 1

For me the best/easiest way is using the Move By Points tool (I have assigned D as the keyboard shortcut for this).

Using the mode setting as shown in the attached image, you can move selected objects by hitting D and/or copy-move them by holding the alt key.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11243&filename=Move:Copy.png

So basically I do this:

To move:

1. select the object

2. Hit D

3. Move with mouse

To move a copy:

1. select the object

2. Hit D

3. Move with mouse holding down alt

Another advantage of this workflow is that you can copy-move walls that are joined and the Connected Walls Mode is active (though the copies will lose the join.)

(I also use Cmd/Ctrl C, Cmd/Ctrl V (which is set to copy paste in place) then use the 'move' work flow above, usually I use this when I want a copy of the object from a specific point to another using the smart snaps and guides)

Edited by Vincent C

litesauce and Pi try this:

- Set the Move by Points tool to Move mode and leave it that way.

- When you want to move objects it will act as you want it to.

- When you want to copy objects hold the Option key down.

I've just tested and the latter method works correctly for both the Distance and Distribute modes for single and multiple copies.

I'm working 6 years in vectorworks after 13years of autocad and I'm still not used to the copy command.

I also want a 'one button' copy tool and a 'one button' move tool.

Is it possible to connect 2 shortcut keys to one command with different settings?

'c' would be the move/copy tool with the copy preset

'm' would be the move/copy tool with the move preset

+1

And what I find a little tedious is that you have to select first by

the selection tool.

F.e. did something else before,

change to X to select,

Move Tool and move.

If there is something selected, the Move/Copy Tool knows what

to move, ok.

But if nothing is selected, the Move Tool should also know that

there has something to be selected first and let me select that

something from within the Tool.

Same for other Tools that expect a selection.

F.e. Rotate, Mirror, Shear, ...

When you have the Move by Points tool active on a Mac if you then hold the Command key down you can then select an object (multiple objects if you hold the Shift key down as well) and on release of the Command key you will be returned to the Move by Points tool.

All of this is stated in the Tool information on the Tool Bar immediately after the Number of Duplicates entry box.

I'm all for a more intuitive interface myself. Perhaps you should be able to toggle through the basic (first) modes of a tool just by hitting its original shortcut multiple times (in this case the D key). I also think hitting tab with various tools should always access any amount associated with a tool as the first field that appears (in this case the number of duplicates). The U and I interface is so clunky and those particular keys are on the mouse hand side of the keyboard if you're right handed (yes, I know you can move them, but there's only so many left hand only short cut keys available). I try to keep my hand on the mouse as much as possible when drawing.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

But if nothing is selected, the Move Tool should also know that

there has something to be selected first and let me select that

something from within the Tool.

Same for other Tools that expect a selection.

F.e. Rotate, Mirror, Shear, ...

These tools actually do prompt you currently to do so, at the bottom right of the drawing area, a message appears stating you can hold Alt to select an object while keeping the currently active tool active. Is this what you mean?

(Will do a request for the original post topic shortly, going to work through it a bit.)

And what I find a little tedious is that you have to select first by

the selection tool.

When using the method above (Move by Points tool), you can hold down Ctrl/Cmd and select an (new) object while in the tool.........

Why didn't you say that earlier :grin:

I see this will work for Rotate too.

But still think there should no Key be needed as long as nothing is selected.

Then all those tools should work like the Selection Tool until something

is selected to make the Tool able to do something special.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I will say that the notification bar is not very noticeable. I like that it doesn't get in the way, but I think it could do more to catch the eye, especially since a lot of UI quirks that Vectorworks has are listed there, but missed by many new users where aren't aware of it.

I recently submitted a request for a history for this alert area that would let users click on it to see recent error/warning notifications, what tool triggered them and if they click for more details they be taken to more info about the tool or command they just tried to use.

These tools actually do prompt you currently to do so, at the bottom right of the drawing area, a message appears stating you can hold Alt to select an object while keeping the currently active tool active. Is this what you mean?

I think I have to care more about that right corner below :)

So it's very good that you are here to show the missing things

are just there. Some features are hidden very well though.

:)

I'll stick my hand up as another l-o-o-o-n-g term Autocad user, and the Move/Copy function in VWX has me perplexed.

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to copy an object by a specified distance, and without the ability to specify absolute or relative coordinates, it seems to be a long winded process. 

That's to say, I can move the object by a specified distance, using the Move -> Reference Point mode, but that mode does not seem to allow for Object Retention, or duplication (VWX 2018).

The long way round seems to be to draw a temporary line with the copy vector properties, copy the object using the line as the two click reference points, then delete the reference line.

Pleas someone, tell me that I'm missing a basic trick here ...

• Like 1

Welcome to Vectorworks.

There used to be a thread with hints for AutoCad users who were beginning to use VW.  Probably time to update that thread.

I'm not sure from your description if you're using the Move by Points tool or the Move command.  The keyboard shortcut for the first is Shift-M.  They keyboard shortcut for the second is Command-M on a Mac.  Probably Control-M on a PC.

The way I find useful to do this is the following:

Shift-MM brings up the preferences for the move by points tool.  (Make sure you are in the first mode in the mode bar.)  Type in the number of duplicates.  There will be checkboxes for retain original and leave original selected.  (Command-I and Command-L).  

Click Enter or hit OK.

You can skip this step if you know those settings are correct.  Just hit Shift-M to invoke the tool.

Then start drawing a line for the direction of the duplication.  After the first click, hit Tab.  A floating menu will appear.  Keep hitting tab until you get the field you want. Type in a value. Tab to the another field.  Type in a value.  Hit Enter or left click when you are done.

35 minutes ago, John_in_NZ said:

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to copy an object by a specified distance, and without the ability to specify absolute or relative coordinates, it seems to be a long winded process. 

Here's one way:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/54078-move-functions/#comment-271637

Alternatively, I'd personally love for the Move command to have a "Create copy" checkbox, because I like the simplicity of typing in coordinates with this command:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/40263-move-command-duplicate/

(Of course you can always duplicate the objects in place first, then do the move command, as suggested in the above thread.)

As yet another approach, you can use the Duplicate Array function to do what you want, using the Linear Array mode. [I usually don't use this because I like to leave my Duplicate Array settings configured for Circular Arrays which I use quite often].

I think one of the great things about VW is that there can be multiple ways to approach simple things like this. :)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, michaelk said:

Welcome to Vectorworks.

There used to be a thread with hints for AutoCad users who were beginning to use VW.  Probably time to update that thread.

I'm not sure from your description if you're using the Move by Points tool or the Move command.  The keyboard shortcut for the first is Shift-M.  They keyboard shortcut for the second is Command-M on a Mac.  Probably Control-M on a PC.

The way I find useful to do this is the following:

Shift-MM brings up the preferences for the move by points tool.  (Make sure you are in the first mode in the mode bar.)  Type in the number of duplicates.  There will be checkboxes for retain original and leave original selected.  (Command-I and Command-L).  

Click Enter or hit OK.

You can skip this step if you know those settings are correct.  Just hit Shift-M to invoke the tool.

Then start drawing a line for the direction of the duplication.  After the first click, hit Tab.  A floating menu will appear.  Keep hitting tab until you get the field you want. Type in a value. Tab to the another field.  Type in a value.  Hit Enter or left click when you are done.

Thanks Michael, that certainly gets me pointed in the right general direction.

Coming from an Engineering background, I want to keep track of how much I am moving things, so I'm using the Move by Points tool.  To me, it seems so much more logical than the Ctrl-M version.

Shift-MM is a neat little trick that's new to me, so thanks for that, however the real light-bulb, or if you prefer d'oh, moment is Tab-ing through the fields in the floating menu.  That is what I'd been missing ... :)

Edited by John_in_NZ
3 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

I think one of the great things about VW is that there can be multiple ways to approach simple things like this. :)

Thanks for the tips, they are starting to filter into the grey matter slowly but surely ... :)

After using various 2D and 3D packages over the years, I think that being able to perform the same operations in a number of ways is a good measure of the flexibility of a bit of software, so I'm please to see that VWX doesn't constrain the user too much.

13 minutes ago, John_in_NZ said:

Shift-MM is a neat little trick that's new to me, so thanks for that, however the real light-bulb, or if you prefer d'oh, moment is Tab-ing through the fields in the floating menu.  That is what I'd been missing ... :)

That double pumping the keyboard shortcut to bring up a the preferences works on just about every tool that has preferences.  Especially useful are the shortcuts to the Snapping preferences (AA, SS, DD, FF, QQ, WW, EE, RR).

And you can always Tab to get the heads up window.  Even before you start drawing. For example:   Invoke Rectangle Tool > Tab lets you pick exact coordinates for the first vertex.  Then you can keep typing in delta X, delta Y, length, or angle values for the next vertex.

2 minutes ago, michaelk said:

That double pumping the keyboard shortcut to bring up a the preferences works on just about every tool that has preferences.  Especially useful are the shortcuts to the Snapping preferences (AA, SS, DD, FF, QQ, WW, EE, RR).

And you can always Tab to get the heads up window.  Even before you start drawing. For example:   Invoke Rectangle Tool > Tab lets you pick exact coordinates for the first vertex.  Then you can keep typing in delta X, delta Y, length, or angle values for the next vertex.

Yet more light-bulbs are illuminating, thanks ... :)

However, when it comes to keyboard shortcuts, once I get a little more familiar with VWX, I'm going to have to do something about them.  Whilst they might be "normal" for Mac users, for a born and bred PC user, they're like a mutant hybrid of a card-sharp's prestidigitation and a Vulcan death grip ... ;)

... I mean seriously, Ctrl-Alt-Shift-A when I'm staring at dozen function keys that are sitting there all forlorn ... ;)

... I mean seriously, Ctrl-Alt-Shift-A when I'm staring at dozen function keys that are sitting there all forlorn ... ;)

LOL!!!

Here's a map I made for my user group of keyboard shortcuts.  Change Command to Control and Option to Alt for PC. 

The new MacBook Pros don't have function keys anymore.  But that touch strip now has VW tools and it's customizable.  I find it really helpful.

4 hours ago, John_in_NZ said:

However, when it comes to keyboard shortcuts, once I get a little more familiar with VWX, I'm going to have to do something about them.

I definitely encourage that. My custom workspace keyboard shortcuts barely resembles the default shortcuts (which I think are mostly terrible). At some point I should post my workspace on here - my drafting speed has increased exponentially since creating it.

For example, my most-used tools from the Basic Toolset are single letters:

"M" for Mirror

"R" for Rotate

"S" for Trim (Scissors)

"W" for Select Similar (Wand)

"E" for Eyedropper

"O" for Offset

"F" for Fillet

etc...

Plus a few other modifications to suit my needs.

[Sorry to get off-topic]

33 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

[Sorry to get off-topic]

Whilst it is most definitely "off topic", I'm very grateful for the tips & tricks ... :)

Andy, my only comment on your short-cuts, based on my acad experience, is that I tend to use two letter abbreviations for short-cuts. 

This is because I'm less likely to smack a keystroke pairing accidentally, and the two character abbreviations can be a little more helpful as to their function.  The exception to that is when I'm mapping a single keystroke to a mouse button, in which case, I might end up with something like Ctrl-f12, but I only ever access via the mouse button.

4 hours ago, michaelk said:

The new MacBook Pros don't have function keys anymore.  But that touch strip now has VW tools and it's customizable.  I find it really helpful.

You Mac devotes are a strange bunch, and Laptops are a bit of tech that I just don't "get", so combining the pair is never going to make any sense to me ... ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the link to your keyboard map.  What a splendidly logical layout for the "map"; I now have a template for recording my own keyboard mapping, as and when I get to it ... :)

OK, insults done with, for the present, and thanks for putting up with my first rambling mini rant ... :)

[Thread Hijack Mode Off]

Edited by John_in_NZ