Bug submit - here

I'd like to circumvent the current bug-submit process.

Currently we can take the time to complete the official, private bug-submit form or raise a question here and the kind JW is likely to pick up on it and submit the bug for us.

Opt 2 is to my mind preferable for many reasons:

It allows others to contribute their similar bugs together with additional supporting files/ information.

It also lets us see if a bug has already been identified and is being addressed.

If a bug is actually a user error the thread can be moved to a more suitable location.

If there are workarounds they can be included as a natural part of the bug submit thread and finally

once the bug has been resolved it will allow others and everybody involved to see & rejoice together!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

ME TOO!

Adding this to the existing request. I have submitted these ideas more or less to some extent in various areas.

(I had not included rejoicing however, this is a key feature that I will add specifically.)

If you are reading this and agree, please show your support with specific details or even just a +1 below. It helps.

Thinking on this a little more it seems that non-techforum members would be at a new disadvantage, but one that may encourage even more sign-ups and participation.

Perhaps the bug-submit button could be available to all and take non-members to a registration/guest submit page instead. And, if they're not ready to register perhaps an option to post anonymously using a couple of digits from their serial # as a key.

I think I've stumbled on a possible solution - as I can imagine NV being uncomfortable to have a forum dedicated to bugs.

Howz about we title possible bugs in some consistent manner here on the boards so that they can be posted as usual under the relevant topic but that a quick search will generate a comprehensive bug list for us.

eg - to rob Bruce's recent post "Auto Save Problem Vectorworks 2015" if it were titled

"Bug? Auto Save Problem Vectorworks 2015" then a quick 4 character search will be very effective in creating a list of all the Bug? ........ threads.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I think I've stumbled on a possible solution - as I can imagine NV being uncomfortable to have a forum dedicated to bugs.

Howz about we title possible bugs in some consistent manner here on the boards so that they can be posted as usual under the relevant topic but that a quick search will generate a comprehensive bug list for us.

eg - to rob Bruce's recent post "Auto Save Problem Vectorworks 2015" if it were titled

"Bug? Auto Save Problem Vectorworks 2015" then a quick 4 character search will be very effective in creating a list of all the Bug? ........ threads.

I am proposing a solution similar to this now for the meantime while we wait for larger changes.

Each time I submit an issue, that is given an ID that internal employees can all look up easily, VB-XXXXXX. These are not visible outside of the tracking system we use here, but it would make it easier for users to inquire about the status of issues or, when they come up as fixed (If the ones I submitted were fixed, I get an email) I could then easily look it up on the board and announce that its been done or will be done.

If I can get approval, and this is received positively, this may help start the transition to a more public tracking system.

Jim how about a new Forum header called 'Issues' so we can put it all in there? Makes no difference because I usually post a question about potential bugs on the forum first before a Bug submit and subsequently never end up submitting anyway (mainly it gets done by you :) )

If the management is afraid it will be bad advertising, I don't think it will be because there will be equally many posts about it being fixed and also possible workarounds etc that will reflect positively as a counter argument.....

Edited by Vincent C

What about moving parts of the Forum like Wish List, Potetial Bugs etc.

to a non-public area with access for existing users only.

So that public viewers that want to get general information about VW

don't get immediately frightened by watching the support threads but

can get answered their "normal" questions.

As it may look a little negative as we are mostly talking about

the problems and things that should be improved and rarely

about the good things in VW.

And I would like that this wonderful open direct support will

go on in the future.

I just did "a quick 4 character search will be very effective in creating a list of all the Bug? ........" to find this thread and search results = 0...?????? Guess we'll have to find something else to use?!