Is it possible to convert lines to polylines?

rbkla

I have imported a survey from AutoCAD and the contour lines are made up of thousands of connected line segments. I am trying to change their appearance from solid to dashed. I've edited the line appearance in the class but the contours show up as only partially dashed, which leads me to think that there are overlapping line segments . I'd like to convert all lines on each contour to a single polyline-can I do this?

Thanks,

Rose

Thanks for your quick reply!

I was able to connect the ling segments and then when I used the command Modify>Compose it joined them all into a polygon. I tried to then use Modify>Convert to change to a polyline but it doesn't look like this is an option. So I then deleted the fill from the polygon and changed the line type so it looks like I want it to (single, dashed, joined line) but am I going to get into trouble down the road having all the contour lines as polygons instead of polylines? Is there a way to now change the polygon to a polyline?

Thanks,

Rose

Thanks again, Jim. I did try the split tool but it just breaks the polygon up into smaller polygons. Is there an additional step for splitting from polygon to polyline? I can probably just keep the contours as polygons-just trying to understand the process a little better.