Importing STL files into Vectorworks

PVA - Admin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

STL is the standard interchange at the moment for 3D printers, with Youmagine, Thingiverse and other websites hosting primarily this format. In order to modify existing models, one needs to be able to import STL files and then export them back out again for printing.

Currently Vectorworks is unable to import STL files natively, however there is a free utility that will let you convert STLs to 3DS which Vectorworks can import:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1265/Importing+STL+files+into+Vectorworks

• 2 years later...

Just got a 3D printer

Monoprice 3D Select 

I haven't done anything terribly complicated yet but I'm quite pleased with being able to import STL, edit in VW17 and export .STL and print. Blown away really. Hard to believe there isn't more traffic in the 3D printing section of this forum. 

• Marionette Maven

@actionjack

I'm glad you're finding it useful! I often model from scratch in Vectorworks to export for my printer, though I haven't gone down the import STL and modify route.

I'm also not sure why there's so little traffic for 3D print, but I'm guessing it may start to pick up now that printers are becoming more affordable.

• Like 1