VectorWorks Viewer to view older version files

Dear ALL,

I have a problem is, I have some old VectorWorks/MiniCAD files, I need to open it, but when I use VectorWorks Viewer 10/9.51/9.52, they also can't open it.

--- Viewer 10 told me that "This file is in a format which is too old to read by the version of the program you are running"

--- Viwer 9.51 and 9.52 said "This file is not the same version as the application you are running, so the file cannot be open"

Can any one told me how I can open the old version VectorWorks files?

Thanks. [Confused][Confused][Confused]

The VW 10 viewer is designed to only open VW 9 and 10 files. The VW 9 Viewer can only open VW 8 files.

We have no viewer for previous versions of VW.

You will need to have the files converted to a version 9 or 10 mcd file to be able to view them with the viewer.

This has been one of my biggest complaints. Recently the v10 viewer was updated to also open v9 files. This is not a true viewer program. It is simply a version of the full program with a bunch of restrictions in place. Try to open a v9 file and you will get the annoying message that the file is being converted and the file is then renamed with a v10 appended to the name. Why would a viewer have to convert a file in order to view it? On a previous post I had read a response from someone in technical support who said that the viewer was structured the way it is because of a marketing decision. Why can companies like AutoDesk provide viewers that can open all of their previous versions? I have been a MiniCad/VectorWorks user for 10yrs, I started out with MiniCad v1 on the Macintosh. I currently use VectorWorks v10 on the PC. I have always upgraded because of the functionality improvements. Because of Nemetschek's refusal to seriously address the viewer issue, I have had to make use of a PDF writer in order to share files. Even though this works wonderfully, I still waste too much time converting files from earlier versions.

James

[ 01-13-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Jsleutel ]