Renderworks - Distributed Rendering

Guest BillV

Question

I have just completed a Render. File attached.

Excellent quality but at 12 hours to render not exactly practical !

I would like to see the same facility in Vectorworks that is available in Cinema 4d whereby the render can be shared across a number of machines on a networks.

Is this something that is a) possible b) under consideration ?

19 answers to this question

Looks nice.

Is the attached file the resolution you rendered in 12 hours ?

On your Macbook in your signature ?

Sounds a bit long.

I think you have 4 bounces in GI, right ?

Can you post a screen shot of your render settings ?

Do you use lots of bump/displacement/blurry reflections

beside floor and chair ?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have requested it many times, I have a LOT of older machines sitting idle here that I would love to throw at a rendering. They may only have one or two cores each but all together I could be rendering with 48 cores!

I will add this thread to that request.

To shorten your render though:

1) Make sure that if you are using Blurriness, you need it. It dramatically increases render times.

2) Try with only one bounce of indirect lighting, sometimes it gives nearly the same appearance as 3 or four but takes much less time.

3) Often settings of "Very High" in your render style can be set to "High" and the render will look nearly identical at 300dpi or less, but reduce render times.

Checked with engineering, apparently Maxon reserves network rendering for C4D directly via TeamRender. We are not able to implement it at this time in Renderworks.

For the time being, the file would have to be exported to Cinema4D and rendered via TeamRender in order to take advantage of networked CPUs.

http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/new_in_cinema_4d_r15_teamrender/

Will be nice to see local cloud for (cluster or peer-2-peer) rendering via TeamRender Server

Unfortunately we won't be able to implement that directly in Vectorworks for the time being. Maxon currently reserves that functionality for C4D only, not software packages that license their rendering engine as Vectorworks does.

Using the TeamRender system from Maxon is the only way to do this locally at the moment, after exporting from Vectorworks to a copy of Cinema4D.

I would leave GI to at least 2 bounces for an interior.

And I would try to reduce blurriness in quality and assign it

to materials where you can really see it only.

Also bump maps can slow down irradiance cache renderings.

Team Render in Cinema - yes, but

not with Prime Version, you have to license at least Visualize

or Broadcast (3 clients) or Studio (unlimited clients)

What i want to do is place my VW file that needs to have the Sheet VPs updated (2.5hrs) on another computer...unplug it from the internet and use it to update the file

WHILE I WORK ON another VW file on my main machine w/o having to buy another seat of VW just to do rendering/updating...

It seems that if i am the only person using it then i should be able to have VW running on a bunch of machines (in theory) and go back and forth while i wait for VW to process.

I am kind of doing this with having Onshape open and working on that while VW is updating but i do not have an exact one to one ratio of work.

none of us should have to wait for anything to update or render.

so right now i need to update the big file (2.5hrs) and when i do i am locked out of VW until its done... so if i get a phone call for another VW project i cannot do anything about it until its done updating.

while i do update after hours (letting my machine churn away for 2.5hrs) this is not always convenient.

So any comments from the VW people??

Edited by digitalcarbon
9 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

WHILE I WORK ON another VW file on my main machine w/o having to buy another seat of VW just to do rendering/updating...

Merged with a similar wish thread, I have upvoted this as well.

I highly suspect some use of TeamRender would be how we would accomplish this, basically a "headless" install for other machines that lets you use that machine's resources to render without slowing you down on your fully licensed Vectorworks machine. 

4 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

im not trying to cheat anyone but i am getting frustrated on how long it takes to get my model on to sheets and printed.

I totally understand. Since I work here and can spin up an unlimited number of seats of Vectorworks, I bounce between 3-5 machines to do renders and testing and I want users to have similar flexibility. Teamrender or something similar seems to be the way to go to get around any risk of license abuse while still letting users use all the local hardware they can get their hands on.