scaling a model

Sem

I have the following problem, and it's quite complicated, so bare with me here.

I have an 3d landscape modelled, and i want to scale it. But not evenly. I want the model to scale let's say 1:250 at one side and 1:500 at the other side. So that the model will have an exaterated perspective. Things would appear smaller in the back than they would in the front.

Obviously everything in the model should scale with the two ends, so it would evolve graduately. If one would imagine the model with an box around it, i want the cubical bow to become tapered. But I cannot move the grips if I make a group.

Any thoughts? Maybe different software?

All help would be very much appreciated!

VW 2014

Mac/Windows

It's perhaps possible to achieve what you're after by setting the perspective to the point and field of view as desired, however It's not clear from your question what view you're after (eg: top, Birdseye,etc.). The fastest way to experiment with this might be to use the Renderworks Camera. You can easily set the view from and view to positions and the distortion you want will be created by the amount of perspective.

Thanks for your answer Peter, but it won't solve the problem.

You see, I'm making a model in 3d to use to 3d print (or otherwise manufacture) a phisical model. This model should have the perspective distortion in a phisical way, a camera distortion wont help me there.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently I know of no way to do this this kind of controlled asymmetric scaling to a 3D object in Vectorworks.

I have seen this in other applications, I THINK one of those was Blender, which is free and worth a look: http://www.blender.org/download/

To go from Vectorworks to Blender, I would recommend exporting 3DS or STL.

VW2015 will do this for you:

Create a Drape Surface of the Site Model

Create a vertical reference plane object

Deform Tool>Taper Solid mode Select the Nurbs Surface

Set the Taper Center to the center of the reference object

Define the Reference distance & the taper ratio with another couple of clicks.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11208&filename=Taper%20Nurbs%20using%20reference%20plane.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11209&filename=Tapered%20result.png

Edited by bcd

Do you know if it's also possible to execute this command in 3 dimensions? So that not just the x and y axis move, but also the z axis.

In the case of your drape surface i want the reference plane to move towards the end of the model aswell, and scale accordingly.