Second,

Most of those effects can be made in post production with PS easier

and with more control.

Third,

I don't really get why people try to fake real world lens problems

in virtuality.

Fourth,

VW should more concentrate on competing with the best CAD and BIM

applications outside than competing with the best visualization packages.

Just my personal opinion ;)

Beside that,

I understand that these effects give some more "realism" and emotions

to presentations.

So I have nothing against expanding RW's features. :)

Cinema/3DSMax had some of these as editable post effects in the past,

but I think these are gone, replaced in the render engines.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed, however don't worry or hold back about submitting wishlist requests in an area that you already feel could use more basic improvements or because you want to see things requested previously added first.

The order they correct issues and add new features is hand picked and not always related to the order in which the bugs were files or the features requested, a lot of the decisions are made based on inter-dependencies with other projects going on internally.

Most of those effects can be made in post production with PS easier

and with more control.es.

That's what I would like to continue avoiding......(I am very capable in Photoshop but by far prefer to create everything in VWs.

I don't really get why people try to fake real world lens problems

in virtuality.es.

Because it looks 'cool'...... and even though I hate this: cool things win competitions even if they won't look like it when built......

VW should more concentrate on competing with the best CAD and BIM

applications outside than competing with the best visualization packages.es.

I don't agree, Vectorworks is very adept at presentation work (far better than the other CAD/BIM packages), that advantage must be kept + most stuff probably can be acquired from C4D anyway which means we don't have to buy a dedicated render package outside of VWs. = BIG advantage!

One of our biggest strength/weakness hybrids is the breadth of things a user can do in just Vectorworks. It is at once both really useful to have so many disparate tools within one application and difficult to maintain/improve them all together.

I think there will always be specialized software that can beat us at any one task, but often when comparing Vectorworks to alternatives, multiple software packages are required in order to match what can be done in Vectorworks alone.

"Jack of all trades a master of none" definitely applies to a large portion of what we do, which is both good and bad.

(I like mostly that it never gets boring working with it.)

True, but all the years I've been using VWs (parallell to many of the others Bentley, ArchiCAD, Revit, ADT) I have always preferred VWs, because it simply does the basics in everything.

I must say that I don't use Renderworks for really professional stuff (I never use settings that take more than 5-10 mins to render) but I can produce really good renders (though I say so myself).

As long as VWs and Renderworks do the basics and in the intuitive way they do and it's developers keep showing the creativity they have in the past it will continue to compete in the basics with the more dedicated competition.

Lens Flare is one of those things that probably is easy to acquire from C4D at some point but that makes a big but simple difference in render results......i.e. worth investing in I think.

I always search for effective but simple ways to remove the digital/computer 'feeling' from my renders and this would assist greatly in this.

Edited by Vincent C

I don't want to block Vincent's wish :)

If it's easy to implement, why not.

Agree with all you said.

As I do Visualizations in Modo, Cinema and Vray, done in other

packages in the past, which are able to do all these effects and more,

I like to have the simplicity of RW in contrast.

Just 4 material settings, not much to care about GI settings, great.

That doesn't mean that you can't do beautiful images.

And I think for most this will work better that way.

On the other side,

f.e. Microstation has the full Modo renderer inside meanwhile

(which gave a lot of protest at the beginning),

Nemetschek family all have now Cinema Render engine,

maybe it's time now to blow rendering capabilities up.

As for improving RW,

things I miss most are things like :

Render Window

(to not accidentally recalculate, import saved images in viewports

for layout instead of exporting images from viewports,

just like in Cinema)

UV Mapping

(Just a simple Box Map option to tile the texture in world size as it

is defined in the material settings)

Architectural Camera

(Tilt Shift to keep vertikal lines parallel)

I'm not sure why all there isn't an option to unlock all of the C4D rendering features if you own a copy of C4D (ie. without actually switching into C4D). Lens flare, depth of field etc. are all post effects available in the standard C4D rendered dialog.

That'll do nicely.

I don't want to block Vincent's wish :)

No problem Micha :grin: it is important to discuss everything here, there are very many users but only a few that are active on this forum. What you say is true also and everything needs to be taken into account, it is a very 'complicated' software to develop and I believe NV needs all the input, opinions and angles possible to develop it in the right direction.

I believe NV needs all the input, opinions and angles possible to develop it in the right direction.

^ This.

I'm not sure why all there isn't an option to unlock all of the C4D rendering features if you own a copy of C4D (ie. without actually switching into C4D). Lens flare, depth of field etc. are all post effects available in the standard C4D rendered dialog.

I asked this recently and its not a decision they've made so much as its a matter of the work needed to implement the features. Some items can just be flicked on or off, but others require way more work to integrate.

Luckily, I have seen a HUGE amount of work going into new rendering capabilities recently and already a lot of progress has been made in the test builds. Its gonna be shiny.

Add depth of view to the list for the same reasons I stated above. When these functions are more mainstream I believe they will be released more easily to NV by Maxxon.

Added!

Hi guys:

I don't see lens flares in the example links, but I do see "bloom" or "glow". I agree this would be nice to add.

There is a trend in arch viz right now for "gloomy" renderings (overcast skies, dead trees, maybe snow) that I was pointing out to another engineer yesterday. Do you like this look?

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2014/09/axis-viana-hotelview03

But I still think that it's tedious to tweak the renderer until it fits when a

photoshop artist does that look in minutes.

That holds up until you get into creating animations and movies, which we do want to improve dramatically.

PS is pretty much the easiest go-to app for flat image rendering touchup, but when you need to create a 3D environment that you can move around in (In the tech industry 3D Virtual Reality is going to become VERY big within the next 3 years, like it or no) either via the UI or in a recorded path animation, it has to be done through the rendering engine directly.

Oh, forgot animations.

But hat Photoshop for the 4th dimension is called After Effects or Nuke.

As I said,

I don't want to keep anyone from improving RW or adding new features :)

Just or myself I don't see much missing important features in RW keeping me

from making good images.

But I see a lot of potential in the improving workflow of how to access the

current tools.

Will play a little if that LC Villa Savoye is finally in VW :)

Of course the atmospherics are very impressive but wow, so Dreadful. I wouldn't like to bet on this trend: " a post-apocalyptic future"

"Axis Viana Hotel represents one of our newest works where the main idea was to share two different approaches: photorealistic and conceptual.

For the photorealistic views we used the two well-know references of the project and tried to reproduce them 100% equal to achieve the most precise and accurate result possible. On the other hand, the three conceptual views are focused in creating a personal vision of the building in a post-apocalyptic future, with all the environment and time consuming that this scenario may be represented. Architecture developed by VHM."

Rendering :

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2014/09/axis-viana-hotelview-05

Post Production :

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2014/09/axis-viana-hotelview04

BTW

If you do a search on CGArchitect for plain Vectorworks or Renderworks,

you can find some very good images.

F.e. this guy from Vienna (VW+RW+PHOTOSHOP) :

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2013/07/house-c2

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2013/02/old-factory1

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2013/07/camelot-center-south-cadbury

Of course it gets even better if you look at Vectorworks together with

external high end Renderers like Cinema, Maxwell, VRay4C4D, ....

which is always an option.

(other than f.e. for BIM features)

PS is pretty much the easiest go-to app for flat image rendering touchup, but when you need to create a 3D environment that you can move around in (In the tech industry 3D Virtual Reality is going to become VERY big within the next 3 years, like it or no) either via the UI or in a recorded path animation, it has to be done through the rendering engine directly.

I rethought my missing interest in Animations from my poor architectural view

where changing in time doesn't play that much of a role and Solar Studies

are the most interesting I thought of ;)

I don't really like to do animations because it is quite laborious, complex

and you need much more render power as you get paid for ;)

But I think I forgot all the Spotlight users where timeline is essential !

Even there are only key frames for still images representing the

different states of their work

And for VR, GPU and what Game Engines are able to do in Real Time with GI,

I am sure I would find a use for it in architecture anyway.

So I'm looking forward for the future and the new features in VW+RW.