imported dwg - dashed line as separate lines

dd3

couldn?t find the answer to this problem with the search function... although i?m sure others faced it as well

i have a drawing in which a lot of unconnected lines should be combined into one line, even better a closed polygon

these are supposed to be a dashed polygon but appear to be separate individual lines that are a distance apart from each other

the source file is a pdf drawing that was converted into dwg and then imported, there is no original dwg file available so i can?t fix it there

any ideas? seems very basic but i really don?t have a clue :blush:

• 2 years later...

I too am having trouble with this. I'm going to give this old post a bump and hopefully get an answer.

I've tried adjusting the preferences to "connect dashed lines with spaces less then ____" with no avail.

I've read others are just tracing the lines and creating native VW objects. I would rather the import function do this as there are many lines to be re-drawn otherwise.

I am importing .dwf into VW 2016.

TIA

What you could try is using a PDF to CAD program and have that try to recognize dashes as a dashed linetype. Sometimes it works nicely sometimes it doesn't. The problem with defining the space for dashed lines is that the margin for guessing the distance is a bit unit dependent and if your guess of the spacing is off by just a little it will fail, assuming the spacing is constant and not variable, or you will only get parts of the line recognized as a dashed linetype.

In Vectorworks' case the specified gap is not for recognizing dashed lines but to make lines a solid continuous line if the gaps are less than the specified distance.

10 hours ago, kickitsideways said:

The original file type was PDF. I downloaded a simple (free/trial) conversion tool that doesn't give me options for line type recognition.

Can you recommend a converter that may offer that preference?

Thank you for clarifying the dash space option.

I'm using PDF FLY from Visual Integrity myself to convert vector PDFs to DWG/DXF files. This version also converts from/to other vector formats. They also have a PDF2CAD version that only converts PDFs to DWG/DXF and is a little cheaper.

Recently I read an interview with the ODA chairman about the updates to their DWG libraries and the ODA apparently does not have plans for including a PDF import and conversion to DWG in the foreseeable future and referred to Visual Integrity's software for such conversions as they have been working with them for that kind of conversion. There are other software companies providing similar software so you may want to try a few. So far PDF FLY has been working well for me most of the time. It does not always generate a dashed linetype from dashes in a PDF  depending on the linetype (e.g. a dashed line with multiple variable dash lengths and spaces may not convert well into a proper linetype)

• 2 weeks later...