Mapping/Aligning Surface Hatches

gmm18

What is the best practice for aligning or "mapping" surface hatches so that they line up properly?

I am asking mostly about walls.

So for example, with horizontal siding, I need to adjust the surface hatch lines up and down to the correct starting point.

For batt-on-board siding, I need to adjust the surface hatch lines left and right.

I have been working with walls textured "By Components" which does not allow for texture mapping.

But if you switch to "By Object" and map the texture how you like, then render in Hidden Line, you find the surface hatch did not move along with the texture! Bummer...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The mapping for surface hatches is controlled within the texture. When editing the texture that includes the surface hatch, near the bottom left there is an "Edit Surface Hatch" button, within you can set alignments.

For the time being for multiple different surface hatching settings, you will need to duplicate the texture and change the duplicate's settings.

• 2 weeks later...

The new hatch on walls feature is rather confusing. Really not getting the settings at all. As well, the "help" for 2015 is extremely limited? and now it's not working! RIght now, this is what I receive when I try to access the 2015 Help:

AccessDeniedAccess DeniedE7891C5F8DC1D892Ff2OLjKh/iU+2p8w5MC3un+aeLg2tR69up3WnigrAhVkqsy/i4pMDDjg/XXqqKN2

??

Theyre updating the help content right now, its nothing on your end. Apparently this will happen when they bulk-update the help content and can last a few hours, I see the same errors here. We are working to get the update system to be less disruptive.

The local help can be manually accessed at:

Vectorworks2015\VWHelp\HTML5\index.htm

if you open that file with a web browser.

What is the best practice for aligning or "mapping" surface hatches so that they line up properly?

I am asking mostly about walls.

So for example, with horizontal siding, I need to adjust the surface hatch lines up and down to the correct starting point.

For batt-on-board siding, I need to adjust the surface hatch lines left and right.

I have been working with walls textured "By Components" which does not allow for texture mapping.

But if you switch to "By Object" and map the texture how you like, then render in Hidden Line, you find the surface hatch did not move along with the texture! Bummer...

I think you might be discussing two issue's here? Jim is addressing adjustment inside the texture and then there's texture alignments in use.

The in use issue was just discussed in the Renderworks forum. Hopefully we'll get a fix in the form of a "Use World X & Y For Origin" button in addition to the "Use World Z For Origin" button.

The difficulty of getting stacked elements to align and stay aligned when edited really needs a fix now that we have 3d hatching. With full textures you could often get away with some misalignment, but 3d hatches will not be forgiven by the eye in the same way.

Edited by M5d

Yes, Having an "Align to World Origin" (in X, Y & Z), has been near the top (if not the very top) of my bug/wish list for many years. Currently, each object needs to be selected one by one and have the offsets manually entered. If you knew what the offset values were for each object, that would be tedious enough. Unfortunately, the offsets need to be entered with your best guess, then repeatedly adjusted until it looks close enough. This "trial and error" process can take a LONG time - especially on additions with many new and existing walls butting up against one another. And when revisions are made, this process needs to be repeated.

As an aside note: I've been using black & white "line" textures for many years to simulate exterior building textures (siding roofing, etc.). While it's unfortunate that this alignment issue has not yet been addressed, the new surface hatching is a HUGE improvement over using my old texture method. Addressing this alignment issue would be another big leap forward.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Considering this subject was last talked about in 2008 and its now 2016, what have the vector works geeks been doing!

I still spend hours of my time adjusting surface hatches and duplication render textures just to make a surface hatch on the ground floor, line up with the same hatch on the first floor.

Can we please please please!! have a fix for this.

• Like 2