VW Designer 2015 - Still no complete workspace with all toolsets

I would like NV to provide a VW Designer workspace that has all of the toolsets present. Right now the "Designer" workspace is missing the Spotlight toolset by default. When I add it I get the generic wrench toolset icon. This gets confusing when I add more than one toolset (see image).

I always start building my custom workspace from the Designer workspace, adding and subtracting what I need. Menus aren't really an issue since they always have a title but toolsets are because of this generic icon issue (yes, I could create my own icon but that's a workaround). Please fix this. I've bug submitted it in the past and its long overdue (and an easy fix on the NV end).

KM

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9725&filename=Tool%20Set%20Icons.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • 10 months later...

I installed VW2015 Designer and started to set up my custom workspace. There is still no default workspace in Designer that contains everything - every tool, every menu item. This is very frustrating as someone who regularly uses the Spotlight tools but owns Designer.

Its impossible for me to customize my workspace and have all of the default toolset icons showing. The easiest way to begin customization is to duplicate the Designer workspace but then I get the generic wrench icon for my Spotlight toolset. I could start with the Spotlight workspace but then something else will have the generic wrench icon. This has been true for various versions and I have bug submitted this before (this is a bug). This makes me very frustrated. My toolsets always look like the attached image even though I am running Designer which I paid a premium for. It would be way easier to start with a complete workspace and subtract or customize things.

Please fix this. An interim solution would be to make the toolset icons publicly available for download so I can fix it myself.

Maddening.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Submitted a request for an Everything workspace. (With extra pickles.)

However I THINK you can get at all of the built-in icons directly, if you weren't aware. I just learned this recently:

Inside the Vectorworks 2015 folder, there is a file named "Vectorworks.vwr"

Copy this to your desktop or somewhere other than this folder. COPY it, do not MOVE it.

Rename the file to "Vectorworks.zip" and then unzip it. Inside there is a folder called "Images" that contains nearly every icon in Vectorworks. Even if it doesn't contain the exact tool set icons, normally there is an icon for a specific tool that would be a good representation for that set, certainly better than the default wrench.

Hi all,

also trying to re-costumize my workspace to what I am used to. The Workspace Editor doesn't let me use the shortcut Cmd-Opt-D (reserved by MacOS).

In previous versions I got a warning about this, 2015 doesn't even let me enter the D. (I have Cmd-Opt-D disabled in System Preferences. Instead Cmd-Opt-D for Duplicate Array is a command that I use almost every few minutes?)

Is there a workaround?

Best,

Mario

• 2 months later...
Submitted a request for an Everything workspace. (With extra pickles.)

However I THINK you can get at all of the built-in icons directly, if you weren't aware. I just learned this recently:

Inside the Vectorworks 2015 folder, there is a file named "Vectorworks.vwr"

Copy this to your desktop or somewhere other than this folder. COPY it, do not MOVE it.

Rename the file to "Vectorworks.zip" and then unzip it. Inside there is a folder called "Images" that contains nearly every icon in Vectorworks. Even if it doesn't contain the exact tool set icons, normally there is an icon for a specific tool that would be a good representation for that set, certainly better than the default wrench.

Has anyone been able to find the default Spotlight toolset icon?

• 5 months later...
Has anyone been able to find the default Spotlight toolset icon?

I just upgraded from Spotlight to Designer and it's crazy to me there's no workspace that includes all the tools. Is the intended workflow to switch workspaces in the middle of a project when I need to use different tools?

Anyway, after manually adding all of the Spotlight menu's and toolset to a Designer workspace, I ran into the same issue of no Spotlight toolset icon. I grabbed the original using printscreen and cleaned the transparency up a little in photoshop. It's not as perfect as the original but it will have to do until they fix the issue.

Icon attached for whomever wants to use it.

Edited by ljmunz
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This will probably not happen until we start to tackle our big UI changes. Things like Multiview will most likely happen first, then probably a UI overhaul to allow things like scalable icons, dark mode, etc. Currently the framework we use now just can't handle most changes so a lot of things like this request are temporarily on hold, since fixing them in the old version only to replace it less than a version or two later (best case) is not an efficient use of engineering time.

Keep up on these wishes of course, but there are a lot of "This is needed before this which is needed before this" that needs doing.

2 minutes ago, JimW said:

This will probably not happen until we start to tackle our big UI changes. Things like Multiview will most likely happen first, then probably a UI overhaul to allow things like scalable icons, dark mode, etc. Currently the framework we use now just can't handle most changes so a lot of things like this request are temporarily on hold, since fixing them in the old version only to replace it less than a version or two later (best case) is not an efficient use of engineering time.

Keep up on these wishes of course, but there are a lot of "This is needed before this which is needed before this" that needs doing.

I'm not sure I understand? I wouldn't have thought any engineering was required. The parts all exist, it just requires someone with access to the proper icons and the Workspace editor to add the missing toolsets (e.g.. Spotlight) to the Designer workspace..... If the icons were available I could do it myself.....

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I'm not sure I understand? I wouldn't have thought any engineering was required. The parts all exist, it just requires someone with access to the proper icons and the Workspace editor to add the missing toolsets (e.g.. Spotlight) to the Designer workspace..... If the icons were available I could do it myself.....

Kevin

Totally agree, no engineering required to make a workspace with all the menus and toolsets.

For anyone with Designer who wishes to add Spotlight items to the Designer workspace, attached is a list of the Spotlight menu and toolset items to add to your workspace.  Also attached an admittedly quick and dirty screen grabbed version of the Spotlight toolset icon for Windows (not sure if the Mac version is the same). At least it's better than the generic toolset icon.

Spotlight Workspace Additions 2017.txt

spotlight_toolset.png

• Like 1