Zoom Line Weights off still showing thickness!?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Zoom Line Thickness just increases line weights artificially as you zoom in. Disabling it should cause lines to all display at their original weight, not all line weights to show as 1 pixel.

I do not see lines with various weights showing as 1 pixel in 2014 either with zoom line thickness on or off at 1:1 and 100% zoom.

Well i've definitely had thin lines regardless of zoom with this setting off. If i zoom out quite far now in 2015 with the zoom lw off, the lines become too fat to see properly (even though the real thickness remains the same)......definitely never had that. I've always had really thin lines with that setting regardless of zoom. Check this screen cast, it has the same thin lines for all objects, and if you zoom the remain thin......from a previous version?!

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6551&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202012-02-01%20kl.%2011.06.31.png

Edited by Vincent C

Confirmed that this is a result of 2015 now displaying onscreen exactly what the line weight is.

The rulers may look different as well, this is because at 1:1 scale at 100% zoom, objects in 2015 will now be the right size if you were to take a ruler and measure them on the screen compared to printing them and measuring them there. In prior versions, this was not the case.

Submitting a request for "No line thicknesses" mode to compensate for users getting used to the "bug" in previous versions.

Does this mean now in a sheet layer at 100% zoom the lines will appear at the exact printed thickness... Oh wow, should have advertised that as a test print time saver.

This should be true now, yes. I think there are some situations where it will not, for instance if you hook up to a monitor that has a default resolution not supported by your machine it wont be right (I think some iMacs will have this issue to 4K displays?) but the large majority of scenarios it will now be correct.

Certainly it should be correct on Macs like Macbook Pros and iMacs on their native included screens.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but maybe someone can set me straight if I'm off base.

In 2014, cursing over the Zoom line Thickness icon gives the description,

"When selected, the lines in the drawing will appear thicker when zooming in".

This implies that it is functionality, not a bug that we have gotten used.

It appears that the default is to have constant line thickness representation. Never mind the times when needs dictate very close inspection. I say this default is a bug perhaps based upon an oversight.

We need the ability to zoom in without line thicknesses in the way.

The "bug" was that line weights were (in 2014 and prior) not showing as they should have with zoom line thickness turned OFF. They should have, at 100% zoom and 1:1 scale, shown onscreen exactly as they would have when printed out on paper, but this was not the case.

However, users adapted to ONLY seeing/caring about line weights with Zoom Line Thickness enabled and drafted that way. When they "Fixed" this problem, it caused line weights to appear thicker (as they should have in the first place) since they are now showing their real weights.

Zoom line thickness will still allow users to zoom in and it will artificially increase the weights of lines as you zoom in to represent

This regressed the ability to draft in wireframe with line weights that were only 1px thick, even though this was not intended functionality in the first place.

Basically they fixed something that was functionally/technically broken but worked in practice. It is absolutely an oversight.

My request was for the ability to zoom with no thickness change which you had before even though it was "unintended functionality"

So in the revised version based on the request, you would have 3 possible states:

1) Real line weights onscreen that DON'T increase in size when you zoom in.

2) Real line weights onscreen that DO increase in size when you zoom in.

3) "False" line weights of 1px for all lines regardless of weight, to make working with complex intersections of multiple lines of multiple thicknesses easier.

In 2014 you had options 1 and 3, in 2015 you only have options 1 and 2. After our suggested fix, you would have options 1, 2 and 3.

Thanks for submitting the option.

I guess I find it hard to understand the need for your option #1.

So if I have a 1px line next to a 4px line, if I zoom in, with option 1, the lines will still be 1px and 4px wide. But with Option 2 the 4px line will appear as it would proportionally to the zoom percentage?

So if I have a 1px line next to a 4px line, if I zoom in, with option 1, the lines will still be 1px and 4px wide. But with Option 2 the 4px line will appear as it would proportionally to the zoom percentage?

Yes, precisely.

I am not sure who uses which options and for what specifically, but I have had requests from multiple users over the years for one or all of those three options.

Turns out it was C. Andrew Dunning who caught it first months before release. If I had understood the issue fully at the time then this might have been avoided, I apologize.

Doing what I can to get this treated as a regression rather than a feature request and get a fix pushed ASAP.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...