2014 libraries in 2015

minotto

I just upgraded to 2015. Instead of downloading all the libraries during installation available to the designer series, i moved them over from the 2014 libraries folder into the 2015 libraries folder.

But cannot open them from the Resource Browser unless i open the file directly and save in 2015.

Do i have to download the libraries from the VWs website or is there some other way to use the 2014 libraries?

Minotto the Resource Browser can only see resources in its version's files. Thus Vw 2014 can only access Resources in Vw 2014 files and Vw 2015 can only access Resources in Vw 2015 files.

You could convert the Vw 2014 Library files but then you would not get the content changes in the latest files and there has been quite a few. For example Walls have had a major revamp for the new Level constraint system included in Storeys.

It is always best to download and install the latest Library files.

The same applies to Workspaces and users should always rebuild their custom Workspaces so they don't inadvertently miss out on changes in the new version.

Minotto the Resource Browser can only see resources in its version's files. Thus Vw 2014 can only access Resources in Vw 2014 files and Vw 2015 can only access Resources in Vw 2015 files.

Thanks !

But I don't think that's a good idea.

It's ok for delivered libraries but tedious for workspaces and a real

update breaker if there are longterm projects.

Why not a special *.vwl (VW Library) ending for Libraries and the ability

to read but not convert them to a higher version number,

as it is done with normal older files.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This isn't done because older versions can not do anything with new objects created in 2015. So for objects like a Curtain Wall, if it was included in a library, 2013 would not be able to use or insert it. The same going forward with objects that have been removed from older versions, they need the conversion process to filter out incompatible object and resource types.

I understand that VW 2012 can't open objects created in VW 2015

with new features. But a Library with simple old wall styles or doors ?

Couldn't older objects be converted on the fly when importing

or at least a hint that the Library needs to be converted to VW XXXX ?

What happens when I convert a normal 2014 file to 2015 ?

F.e. I had problems with 2014 stairs where faces where flipped or

missing, the german developers did a fix for the stair tool which

should be included in VW 2015 Int. now.

Will then my broken stairs be recreated by the new stair tool after

file conversion ?

Edited by zoomer
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I do not fully understand file conversion from version to version. some objects are replaced by their predecessors, some need to be redrawn. apparently this is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Couldn't older objects be converted on the fly when importing

or at least a hint that the Library needs to be converted to VW XXXX ?

As a feature request maybe, but the problem is then if they were converted, it would only be so in your current file and referencing resources wouldn't be possible in this manner. That's the main reason they require complete conversion of libraries.

I agree,

as it is now seems to be the least problematic way.

I see I can't choose a 2014 Lib as it says it is old.

Would be nice if there could be an option to convert that

whole Lib (For custom Libs),

but not a big issue to spend much time on it.

Btw.

If I switch in the resource browser from File to VW Libraries,

Finder Window jumps to the file location, not to the VW library

path.

The easiest/quickest way is to open the 2014 file in 2015, select the resources you want to transfer, right click and choose export, then choose the file you want the resources in and simply exit the file without saving.

Now you have your old resources in the new file format without loads of duplicate files in various versions.

Edited by Vincent C