Annual releases and service select subscriptions

"Autodesk Revit 2015 R2 includes over 30 user-requested features that add powerful capabilities"

This means not just new features on annual release. It makes sense to me to get the new stuff as it's made available if your on a subscription anyway? Jim can we make this a non tech wish?

http://www10.aeccafe.com/nbc/articles/1/1305140/Autodesk-Revit-2015-Subscribers-Get-Slew-New-Capabilities-with-R2-Update

I don't know how many % of users have a subscription and

that will work for VW in marketing means,

but I think too that that's the way to go.

I will go to subscription soon too.

But I think it's good to have still the option to buy a release

and maybe even decide not to upgrade.

These users wouldn't buy VW at all if it is subscription only.

And to make people update their VW there needs to be a new

release with really lots of new features at one time.

Subscription means that you decided to go VW for the next years.

If that decision was made it's not so important to get a completely

new feature rich release.

A continuos development could also reduce the concentration of bugs

which you experience with SP 0 releases.

But maybe it is not so easy to serve both user groups.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A huge percentage of our users are on Service Select, I think this version it hit upwards of 60-70% and its been increasing steadily.

Personally I would want to see the same thing, periodic releases throughout the year that not only fix issues but add big features as they complete.

I know there has been work towards something like this, the ability for us to deliver large features and new content between numbered releases. The Vectorworks Package Manager is one of the first steps to letting users more easily add large modules and third party plugins automatically.

I know there has been work towards something like this, the ability for us to deliver large features and new content between numbered releases. The Vectorworks Package Manager is one of the first steps to letting users more easily add large modules and third party plugins automatically.

Sounds very interesting! And I think it will work much better for the users, as you can incorporate things at a slower pace and one by one. Also that third party plugins sounds nice, is this a hint to some sort of plugin 'store'? (Please say yes....)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have NOT heard any official talk of a store, but engineers are absolutely putting an eye towards simplified scripting, heavily customizable or even custom from-scratch plugin objects and a method of sharing them between users.

However they were in extreme early stages of doing so, I could not even guess at an implementation schedule.

I have NOT heard any official talk of a store, but engineers are absolutely putting an eye towards simplified scripting, heavily customizable or even custom from-scratch plugin objects and a method of sharing them between users.

However they were in extreme early stages of doing so, I could not even guess at an implementation schedule.

It's great they are thinking about it, as I always liked VW for how you can customize it and it would be great of having a better way of sharing/selling your stuff.

Edited by Dieter @ DWorks
  • 1 month later...