What is the best tutorial for VW ?

There are many tutorials out there but many are tailored to specific professions such as architecture or theatre set/lighting design.

If you are a total beginner in computer drafting then there are tutorials on line that may also may help along with several reference books that are user freindly.

Giving an idea of what your experience is and how you are going to use the software and I'm sure that you will get several replies.

The training CDs are really good. They walk thru just about everything in the program within the array of products.

It starts with a video of how to do things, then it goes to a step by step tutorial with a complimentary file in which you can perform the steps.

Alot of people like these Cds.

There are a few books out there. The one by Janis Kent is geared towards architecture. So if you aren't going to be using it for Architecture, it may not be for you.

Tom Baer has a book covering the basic principles in depth as well as comments on more advanced principles.

Of course, books only work if you enjoy reading the material.

The manuals that come iwth the program cover basic things in summary. They do not have how to's such as How to build a 3 story house.

It will explain what a layer and class are, how to make a room, how to use the wall tool. You have to put the combination of elements together to apply it to your drawing.

In more complex or advanced parts of the program, descriptions are written expecting you to have a knowledge of more basic aspects in the program.

I think this is where alot of people get our manual's wrong. They stumble thru the beginning chapters of the book and then skip to the end without fully grasping concepts from the beginning.

The PDF file in the HELP guide in VW is the same as what is in the manual's.

THere are a number of training seminar's across the US as well. These classes are geared to the new user as well as the more advanced user that may need help with some things. Information on these courses can be found on the support section of the web page.

Another good way to learn is thru user groups. User groups are popping up all over the US. You can check our webpage to see if one is in your area.

I agree with Katie, I have Volumes 1 of both the CD's that NNA make available thru Improbabilty... and they are both worth it. I am getting the follow ups soon as I can obtain them; after the 10 upgrade anyway... That'll come first. Jonathan Pickup, whom watches the list has a lot of really affordable and well done PDF style tutorials. And here's another good one.

http://www.jrarchitecture.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vw.html

If I find Jon's URL address I'll post it here...

Jerry

your lordship,

as a new user here's my nickel's worth. the beginner's manual from jonathan pickup [www.archoncad.co.nz, he is listed on the trainer page at this web address as well as training materials.] will get you moving and drawing i simple language without the inherent language problems. video screen shots SHOW you how to do what the manual just tells you how.. then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. then definetly buy both training cds from nna off the training section of this site. taken in the context of some experience, time spent using the program they are very helpful.

and as katie suggested if you can attend a user group, in person q+a is invaulable.

the bottom line is your investment in time and traing materials/tutoring will probably rival your software investment. then you can go make some money with it!

ready, set, go

[ 01-09-2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: whitecap ]