curved walls curved trim curved holes

I have a curved wall that I need to do two things to -

It needs to have a circular hole in it that follows the curve and that hole needs to have circular molding around it.

I successfully put a square hole in a curved wall but can't do a circular one nor can I "Bend" the trim to follow the curve?

I've read other posts about Bend not being available in VW but I am having trouble believing that...

any help would be very appreciated

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

its doable, but may take some explaining.

Actually, take a look at the following:

http://www.vectorworks.net/getting-started-guides/fundamentals

This guide explains a LOT of raw 3D modeling tricks, its worth a look.

As for the circular hole in a wall, you should be able to simply insert a cylinder (an extruded circle) in the wall, then with both selected use Model > Subtract Solids to get the hole you mean.

If the hole it needs to be at an angle, a cone subtracted from the wall may work better.

If you have Architect or Designer (I think anything but Fundamentals) you can also create a wall recess instead, that will let you keep the Wall object a true Wall object:

To add molding, once you get the hole cut, there is a tool in the 3D modeling toolset called "Extract", if you set that tool to Extract Edge mode, you can extract the edge of the circular hole as a curve, which you can then perform an Extrude Along Path on to create molding in a manner similar to this:

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, it has been a busy day issue tracking.