2015 Can't Open 2014 Network Files

pharcus

Vectorworks 2015 cannot open files created in 2014 across server connection. I have tried connecting using SMB, CIFS, and AFP protocols.

The error message I get reads "Failure on attempt to open file"

Maybe is a permission issue...not sure?

When I copy file to local disk, it opens fine in 2015.

Any ideas?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you are able to access them locally, but the issue pops back up once you move it back to the server, I would reboot both the server/network storage/other computer as well as yours, then try creating a new blank file and saving it to the same server location, let me know the results

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Check for special characters such as : / in the full file path not just the file name.

Are you opening the file using drag&drop on the application icon or double-click in the Finder ?

Could you try opening the file using the Vectorworks File Open menu ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue in VW 2015 when quick saving (Apple + S) files opened off our server (which is a Windows 2012 r2 server with ExtremeZ-PP for Apple naming protocols etc.).

When connected to the server using SMB, I get "The file save operation failed. Please try again, or save to a different location", with a VWTMP file created on the server. If I use "Save As" and save over the file, this works fine.

When I'm connected to the server using AFP, this problem doesn't occur, but for various reasons, we prefer to connect using SMB as it is more stable.

This problem also doesn't occur when I'm using VW 2014 connected to the server using SMB.

Not sure if this is connected with the above file opening issue?