Installing VW2015 Designer

Barrie Scott

Question

Downloaded and installed VW2015 Designer. Tried to start it but it immediately crashed. A dialog box now appears saying "The last time you opened Vectorworks, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" If given the command to reopen, it displays a problem report and says to "Click Reopen to open the application again. This report will be sent to Apple automatically." If I click reopen, it loops back to the previous dialog.

MacBookPro 15", 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, w/ 22" LCD dual monitor

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OSX 10.9.4 Mavericks

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Create a new test (Administrator) user account following the steps provided here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/805/Creating+a+New+User+Account+%28Mac+OS+X%29

Reboot and log into this new account, try to launch Vectorworks and let me know if the results are the same or different. If it allows you to launch, restart and log back into your account, then try launching there as well.

I downloaded the new VW2015 Designer and it opens allows me to work for awhile and then it crashes freezes my computer and I have had to restart 3 times now. I thought it might be a file brought in from 2014 but was not the case as the last time was a new file I was working on.

Brian Clark Architect

Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Xeon, OS10.8.5, 3.33GHZ, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950 Wacom Intuos 4,VW (234280)

I downloaded the new VW2015 Designer and it opens allows me to work for awhile and then it crashes freezes my computer and I have had to restart 3 times now. I thought it might be a file brought in from 2014 but was not the case as the last time was a new file I was working on.

Brian Clark Architect

Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Xeon, OS10.8.5, 3.33GHZ, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950 Wacom Intuos 4,VW (234280)

Send me the following from your machine, please:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

Tech@vectorworks.net is fine.

Activation message.

Go ahead and Activate on the other account (Activating on other accounts on the same machine wont mess anything up or count against you), create a new file and just place a rectangle into it and save it to the desktop. Then, close Vectorworks on the new account and log into your original account and try Vectorworks again.

If it still fails to launch, perform the following in your original account, then reboot and retry Vectorworks again in your original account:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/623/Disk+Utility

Let me know the results, please.

My disk did require repair of permissions, but that did not have any effect. No change. VW2015 still refuses to start and reverts to the error message intended for Apple.

I have trashed the VW2015 folder in the applications folder, reinstalled VW2015 and still no change. Is there a hidden file somewhere with settings in it that don't get trashed when the app is trashed? Perhaps something like that is in the way.

This will guide you through the full uninstall process, which is worth a try:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1105/Uninstalling+Vectorworks

If the installation works in the new user account still, then the issue is within your older user account. The majority of the time it is impossible to pick through your account to find the specific problem, It is oftentimes better to migrate to a new account.

How long has that account been in use? Was it transferred from older versions of the OS to this current one?

'HD > Users > (Users Home Folder) > Library > Preferences' doesn't exist on my computer, so I wasn't able to throw away the "net.nemetschek.vectorworks2015.plist" or the "net.nemetschek.vectorworks.license.2015.plist" files.

Still, I reinstalled VW2015 and it works on the new user account, but not on the older account.

How do I go about transferring all my stuff from the older account to the new account? And what should not be transferred? Are there instructions on how to do this?