VW2015 installation problem on 10.9.4

We have just downloaded VW2015 and it is installing fine on our Mountain Lion machines.

On trying to install on a Mavericks machine, I get to the point where I enter the registration details, serial number, etc. Press to continue, the installer just quits out.

I have tried creating a completely new user account - same problem. The machine is an iMac, six months old -

21.5" late 2013 iMac running 10.9.4

2.9Ghz Core i5

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GEForce GT750M

Would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions on how we could get VW2015 to install on this machine, even if its a workaround from the regular installation.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you take the Vectorworks 2015 folder from one of the Macs it has already been installed on successfully and copy it to the Applications folder of the 10.9 mac that won't allow install, are you able to run Vectorworks on the 10.9 machine, or does it pop up an error message/crash?

Jim

Firstly, thanks for your help.

Unforunately, there is no installer log. It never gets as far as creating a Vectorworks 2015 folder in the applications folder. However, your suggestion about copying the whole folder from another Mountain Lion machine into the Applications folder on the Mavericks machine seems like it could bear fruit.

However, when I go to input the serial number for this VW seat, the application refuses to accept it is valid (despite it being faithfully copied and pasted from the VSS page and checked for no additional spaces).

Which leads me to think that there is a problem with the serial number on Nemetshek's system which has been just causing the installer to quit - it thinks the serial number is invalid.

I will be a bit frustrated if the root cause is a problem with the serial number at Nemetshek's end, as this has wasted quite a few hours of my working day.

Edited by jrhartley
Guest Jim Kelly

The installer doesn't make any effort to verify the serial with a server or anything - if it gets past the screen where you enter the serial it's happy with it there. It could be some odd issue checking pre-requisites for the installation.

If you aren't seeing an installer log in the destination directory, assuming this is a downloadable installer, it's likely it dumps the log into the app bundle itself. Can you right click on the Install Vectorworks app and select "Show Contents" and then go into Contents/Resources, it should be in there.

My apologies this is eating up your time. Hopefully we can find the root cause and resolve it for the next release.

Hi Jim,

I emailed the details to CU directly and they suggested typing in vs. copying and pasting. When I did this, it accepted it. Very odd. Every other installation I have made for VW I have copied & pasted the serial in no problem, but this machine obviously wasn't accepting it. Given the installer issue problems first of all, and now this makes me think there must be something awry with this Mavericks installation - I think it might be worth doing a full reinstall on it at some stage.

Thanks again for your time and your help and for the workaround you suggested.

Edited by jrhartley

Hi Jim,

I am having a similar problem, have raised this with CU this morning but as yet not resolved.

Story so far:

1. Downloaded the "Vectorworks2015-SeriesB-win" installer.

2. Started install and entered the serial number as shown under "My Licenses" on the VSS portal.

3. Install went through without any problems.

4. re-booted

5. plugged USB dongle in (HASP HL)

6. Started Vectorworks

7. Message diaplayed

"A Vectorworks dongle could not be found. Make sure that the dongle is connected and that all required drivers have been installed. Vectorworks will now quit" ... and it did!

8. removed dongle and updated dongle drivers as per readme file.

9. re-booted and tried again, same error message.

10. compaired version of driver downloaded to the one

HASP HL - both were the same version.

11. Checked the dongle ID, this matched the SN. (dongle lights up as normal).

After uninstalling and re-installing several times I tried removing the registration folders from the registry and started VW2015 once more, it asked for a SN, I entered the same SN that I used when installing VW2015 but it rejected it this time saying "The entered serial number is invalid. Please carefully re-enter the number", leading me to think once again that this was a problem with the SN.

I had another thought and entered one of the beta SN's in that was sent to me some time ago, it accepted this SN but would not proceed as this had expired, once again leading me to think the problem is with the SN and not the dongle.

Will email you the installer log file for reference.

Windows 7 x64

Dell M4400, 8GBram, 512Graphics

• 1 month later...

Hi Again Team,

So I got through the installation and now I cant run the program. I get the;

"A Vectorworks dongle could not be found. Make sure that the dongle is connected and that all required drivers have been installed. Vectorworks will now quit"

Message. I have now tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. I have tried it on multiple machines with different dongles and every one of them fails Ive also tried unistalling and reinstalling the dongle drivers manually. Im speaking with OZCAD but so far no one has found an answer.

I am running VW 2014 on the same machine perfectly so I doubt theres any hardware issues.

Does anyone have any helpful things I could try?

• 1 month later...

Hi Again Team,

I have made a discovery, and like most things any new answer comes with questions. The answer to the original puzzle is that the serial number used to install vectorworks 2015 must be the serial of the dongle you are using. If you later swap dongles the new dongle will not be recognised at all, the serial number needs to be changed within the registry to the serial for that dongle. A hassle indeed but I hope this helps someone else.