how to open files from other CAD programs

hi,

I am an interior designer new to Vectorworks.

I have hard copies of a builder's floor plans for a house.

I would like to ask him for the computer files that generated the floor plans so I can alter them and show the builder and home owner the intended changes.

Im on a Mac using Vectorworks. Can VW import any CAD docs? How and what kind of files should I ask the builder to email me?

Thanks guys

You can import several other cad profgrams if they are DWG or DXF format. I am not very proficient at it... but do it frequently as our office is an AutoCAD enviroment. When I do import, the files they come in on one layer. I then convert the colors to something which makes sense. and "draw" on newly created layers. A typical use would be when a draftsman inputs field measurements into an "as built" existing conditions drawing in ACAD. What I often do is copy the EXISTING CONDITIONS to another layer and name the layer it DEMO and turn all the lines to "dashed" and red for example. I then have two layers with the existing conditions on them ... one say... solid black and a heavy line weight... and another.. the DEMO later with all the lines lighter weight and dashed. When the layers are viewed at the same time... or printed with both layers on... it looks as solid heavy lines. The I use a NEW layer called PROPOSED , for example... and use VW walls to create the proposed changes. If there is demolition involved I then go to the EXISTING CONDITIONS layer and delete the walls etc which are to be removed. Now when view or printing all three layers ON you see the demo as dotted red.. the to remain as heavy black lines... and the proposed as filled cavitied walls with VW doors windows and whatever else I want to put on the plan... such as floor designs notes etc. If you want you can delete all the dashed lines which represent work to remain on the DEMO layer. This layer will now have only the dashed lines of the work to be removed. The EXISTING CONDITIONS will have only the work which remains and the PROPOSED will have only the work to be done. Move the PROPOSED to the top if you want it to block the the DEMO later when new wall etc appear where demo work takes place. I hope this explanation is helpful. It may not be what others do... but it works for me and is very quick and efficient. You can accomplish similar results using classes.. and class visibility.

On a related note.... One of the fellows in the office sat next to me and watched me revise a drawing in VW and decided he was tied of ACAD and wanted to give VW a try! I am going to give him a walk thru one weekend. And he is not the only one in that offce.... another collegue marvels at how we stack up LAYERS like floors in a building.. not the silly layers which ACAD uses.. which we know as CLASSES... in any case doing buildings with things which need to make sense with what's above and below is such a breeze in VW.. instead of using x refs all the time. He is next in line for a saturday tutorial.

However, the office will not go VW because they feel that ACAD is the most common program out there.. easiest to fined hires and exchange files with other professionals. They think like draftsmen in black and white.. and hatches... and have learned to see colors and have some other meaning other than what they look like on the screen. They are still drawing line for line and use an occassional block.

They do have a marvelous program for creating windows in elevations. It is based on Marvin and allows all sorts of divided lite combinations done very quickly. I often import their elevations and use their windows in my own elevations!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA.

I do OK for an old dude who had to learn to CAD and refused to become an ACAD clone. I am sure ACAD has advantages but I am not smart enough to see what they are. I am concentrating on VW and getting it going as fast as I can. It takes some time to think in "CAD" but once you begin to... you can do some very good work.

Yep... a dwg or dxf works great from AutoCad or most anything to VW. If the draught that the designer has made is a 3d model as well then instead of a dxf which can look rather rough an .igs/.IGS format will look pretty much exactly the way it does on the host computer and software including lights and all. Also. a .3ds or .3dmf file format will be a finer model format than a .dxf but .dxf is a world standard and is a bit more compatable in a consistant way.

Jerry [big Grin]

VW can import dxf/dwg files as well as export them.

You can import image files as well, however you cannot manipulate these files as individual objects.

VW 10 also allows for an IGES import as well as an IGES export. THis is useful if you are working iwth a 3d solids software package such as ProE, SOlid Works, etc.

In the other application being used, check the file formats available for either save as or export. If one of them is one mentioned above, you should be able to import it without much problem or change in drawing structure.