Sign in to follow this  
PVA - Jim

Vectorworks 2015 , 64bit and other technical questions

For those of us on Service Select, how will we go about getting our serial number?

Log in to your VSS account. Click on your name in the upper right corner. Click "My Licenses." It should be there.

Can we have the custom door tool introduced in the next service pack please?

It is extremely unlikely that a large change to a tool or command will be included in a service pack. Service packs are designed to correct broken components and add compatibility for newer hardware/software.

I will certainly submit the request, but unless stated otherwise int he future, only the large numbered releases add completely new functionality.

Hi Jim,

Loving 2015 so far.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to mention bugs or not but I found a small but annoying one.

When I am rendering a viewport in a sheet layer, I usually like to check my mail (OSX Mail) or browse the internet (Safari) while I wait. Although when you switch to those applications everything seems fine, things go bad when you enter text into the search field in mail, or Url field in safari. As soon as you hit enter, the vectorworks window pops up in front. If you try to switch back to the other program, it only sticks for a second before the vectorworks window pops back up in front again. It only resolves itself once the rendering is complete.

I like to call this bug "boss mode" because it forces you to get back to work. :)

Glad you like it!

If you minimize the drawing window to the dock rather than switching apps directly, do you see the same behavior? Trying to replicate it here now.

When I tried that before, VW crashed but I just did more thorough testing and got some different results. If I minimize before going into another application it seems to work but if I try minimizing after its already stealing focus, it just unminimizes itself (weird).

I'll just have to remember to minimize before going elsewhere until a fix can me made. Hopefully you can recreate the behaviour so you don't think I'm crazy.

Thanks for the 'heads up' re the SU workaround, my response to Nemetschcek though is if Sketchup can do it for free, then why can't you give folding doors as plug in objects so we can modify them at will. In the UK theses doors are very common indeed now so we really need the next service pack to include them.

thanks

Hi,

I've just updated to VWA 2015 and I have two problems:

1) After installation, if I start the program from the menu windows application the following message appears: "A Vectorworks dongle could not be found. Make sure that the dongle is connected and that all required drivers have benn installed. Vectorvorks will now quit" .

Alternatively, if I start the program directly from the program folder (c: \ programms \ Vectorworks2015), VWA starts right. Why is this happening?

2) While working with any type of document, after about every minute of the program lags for about 3 seconds. This happens all the time. I read about someone who has similar problem in previous posts.

Thanks if someone helps me.

1) That sounds like you have two different versions installed, one that IS in the c: \ programms \ Vectorworks2015 folder and the shortcut is linked elsewhere.

2) Haven't been able to lock down a general lag cause so far, I have only been able to replicate a few of the very specific scenarios that lag for users.

I have similar issues with Vectorworks 2015, not just me but all 6 of us in the office have these issues:

1. If i change Dongles to a different dongle than the one use for the installation Vectorworks 2015 refuses to start reporting "a dongle was not found... Vectorworks will now quit" ´There is no chance to enter the Serial number for the attached dongle, as there always has been in the past. It's a pain.

2. Vectorworks 2015 pauses every few minutes, on our macs we get the beach-ball effect. It is not only very annoying it also negatively affects productivity. Hope this gets fixed very soon.

Same issue here on the mac. We can't see the dongle. The distributors engineers are woking on it an in the meantime we have 21 trial versions. The clock is ticking as we only have 30 days.

2. Vectorworks 2015 pauses every few minutes, on our macs we get the beach-ball effect. It is not only very annoying it also negatively affects productivity. Hope this gets fixed very soon.

Not sure about the dongle issue yet, or at least I haven't come across that case so far, but the random lag should be corrected very shortly.

In fact, SP1 was just released for 2015, you can get it here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1278/First+Service+Pack+for+the+Vectorworks+2015+product+line+now+available

And the details of what was fixed can be found here:

http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/notes/2015SP1_Notes.php

The names of the items listed are a bit cryptic, let me know if you (anyone reading) would like clarification on one of them.

Hey everyone!

I've just downloaded the Service Pack 1 hoping it will resolve my problem. Everything works perfectly fine until I want to resize the vectorworks' window. It just crashes. Every time I try to maximize/minimize the window, there's a several seconds lag and then the pop up 'vectorworks stopped working'. what can cause it ? I cannot work properly on my uni project. Any thoughts/suggestions ? thanks!

What operating system and hardware are you using? Its a good idea to add it to your signature as I have done.

Ah yes, I will add it in a sec!

I've got Sony Vaio VPCSE1E1E

Windows 7 64bit, 8GB RAM, intel core i5 2.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD 6330M

My first guess would be that a driver is out of date, which can cause crashes related to changing the drawing area size.

This driver is specific for your card (Other users reading this should NOT try the driver unless you have the exact same graphics hardware listed in the above post), download and install it, reboot, then retry Vectorworks:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

If it still fails after that, make sure to get in touch with support directly and they can troubleshoot.

Thank you for such a prompt response! I'm downloading the driver and hopefully it will work flawlessly. Thanks once again.

Just read SP1 release notes. The lag issue wording reminded me of an issue that I am having and also had in 2011. I occasionally get a lag after an operation which goes away when i move the mouse. I think it got introduced after i had issues with my mouse. Cannot remember exact curcumstances of change in mouse other than i think mouse driver was updated. Possibly related to using a logitech mouse.

Probably not related but thought i would mention it just incase it rang any bells.

Thanks michaelk,

I kept checking in service select under the downloads/vectorworks viewer. It only goes up to 2014 in there. Maybe Jim could advise them to add the link.

Man I am on here a lot lately. LOL.

Has there been any changes to renderworks in the last service pack? Rendering times for me have increased dramatically. The one thing I notice is that it gets stuck on "loading textures" for about 15 minutes where before this step took seconds.

I have recently applied sp1, I upgrade my OS to yosemite, and I have added an SSD. so I am not sure at what step this problem got introduced with as things were humming along before all that. The ssd seems to be working well and loads file much faster so I don't think that's it. I just can't figure out what the problem is and the slowness is killing me. Anybody else experiencing this or is it just me?