Vectorworks 2015 , 64bit and other technical questions

Hi Jim,

Thanks for getting back. I've added my hardware and OS details to my signature.

The problem is somewhat random but very consistent. It seems to be worse when I'm not clicking on an edge or a vertex (i.e. in open fill or into empty space to deselect). I've tried it with a few rectangles in a blank file and with a complex model and the bug is fairly reliable.

Send the following:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

from your machine to tech@vectorworks.net, please. We are tracking a few similar issues now.

Thanks Jim, just sent it.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jim,

Are there any limitations to the Vectorworks 2015 trial?

I have created a record format and attached it to my object, now I want to manually enter text into the record fields using the OIP but it isn't letting me. I can select the record field I want to input text to and it is highlighted in grey but I can enter any text. This is how I used to do it in V 2013, has anything changed since then?

Hi,

I cannot find a lot of new info for the G license for 2015, and client installations (how to install over 50 pc's at once).

What I really like to see (as a system administrator) are changes in the computer-network uses of vectorworks.

Is this done in vw2015 ?

I. The need for only One license-server for all versions (architect, designer etc) now I need a few (physical ) servers all with one USB key and a specific license server (architect, designer etc). The only physic server we have are hosts for virtual servers. Normally we do not have anything else ?working? on a host server for virtual servers.

II. And the possibility to run this program (RLM manager) in a virtual environment (Hyper-v), this is a possibility of RLM, only disabled by Nemetschek.

III. Or better as I and II , no USB key?s anymore, only a license file, all in one web based network license (as ESRI or Autodesk)

IV. A network installer (and updater) for the clients

IVb. with option files for storing all settings on the server (all clients to start with the same settings). Options to install the help files and shared libraries on a network location.

V. When opening a file in a new version of vw, a option to update the file without making a (copy)backup of the old file (we already making network backups, no need for all drawings be double on the network disk (a old and a new one)).

Thanks

Teun

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Hi,

I cannot find a lot of new info for the G license for 2015, and client installations (how to install over 50 pc's at once).

What I really like to see (as a system administrator) are changes in the computer-network uses of vectorworks.

Is this done in vw2015 ?

I. The need for only One license-server for all versions (architect, designer etc) now I need a few (physical ) servers all with one USB key and a specific license server (architect, designer etc). The only physic server we have are hosts for virtual servers. Normally we do not have anything else ?working? on a host server for virtual servers.

II. And the possibility to run this program (RLM manager) in a virtual environment (Hyper-v), this is a possibility of RLM, only disabled by Nemetschek.

III. Or better as I and II , no USB key?s anymore, only a license file, all in one web based network license (as ESRI or Autodesk)

IV. A network installer (and updater) for the clients

IVb. with option files for storing all settings on the server (all clients to start with the same settings). Options to install the help files and shared libraries on a network location.

V. When opening a file in a new version of vw, a option to update the file without making a (copy)backup of the old file (we already making network backups, no need for all drawings be double on the network disk (a old and a new one)).

Thanks

Teun

It is going to change a lot, however I do not know when. They are still adapting the G series (The newer network licensing style) to the various markets. I am not sure if its schedule will be tied to major Vectorworks releases or not, they often make changes to the network licensing system even in service packs.

Jim,

Sorry to double post, should probably have put it in here originally.

Could you respond to my "Vectorworks Cloud Services Credits. How do they work?" post please.

Someone else has already had a bash, for which I am grateful, but I'd feel more comfortable if it came from you.

Many thanks.

Matt

Sometimes I slip into my chamber to sleep and regenerate, I am only half machine!

BaRa's answers were correct and I added a few more details.

My first issue,

I can't switch back from full screen mode under OS X 10.7.5

(I am the one who uses spaces on OS X)

If you move your cursor to the top of the screen, the menu bar should pop back down, there should be a blue icon at the top right to disable fullscreen mode. Does that button not appear, or when you click that, fullscreen does not disable?

Seems to work with a smaller file now without problems.

Maybe I had a strange combination between switching the 3 options

to full screen by Icons or Text Menu.

Or, as it needs some time to switch with large files, I didn't wait long

enough.

Yes,

64 bit

and

Cocoa (same palette windows),

render setting for 3D views,

stories without fake layers,

non hierarchical classes setting in dropdowns,

HTML 5 help (now I can even read it on 10.7.),

curtain walls,

This update solves 80% of my complaints that I had starting with

VW 2014, at one time.

Really Great !

OK. I know that this isn't a technical question and I can't believe that I'm actually ASKING for more marketing but is there going to be some kind of VW2015 webcast/demo like there have been for previous versions of VW?

I know that there is the "Discover VW2015" video and I've been able to find videos for some of the new features (not sure why there isn't a link to "what's new" on the home page, though) but it seems like those things are just skimming the surface. In the past, NVW had demos for architect, landscape, etc with questions & answers. I found those demos to be quite helpful in understanding new features that would be useful in my workflow.

Also, it doesn't look like there is anything new (other than the "Discover" video) on the VW youtube channel. Are there plans to change that?

Bill, if you go to one of the Product pages (eg. Architect or Landmark) there is a link on the RHS to What's New in 2015.

I'm also surprised about the lack of fanfare on the main page considering the big improvements is in this release.

When you click on the Learn More button it takes you to the 'splash movie'. There is more information if you scroll down and the best way to get to the information is to click on Features and then choose All Features.

What I mean Jim is that we want to be able to have folding doors not just with 4 leafs but with any number, and with maybe one to the left and four to the right.

Also for say a 5metre or wider opening we obviously need more than four leafs.

These doors are very commonly used here both for house extensions and also for high street frontages e.g. restaurants and caf?s. Essentially we need a custom door tool just like the window tool. You have introduced the unequal leaf, we just need to go a bit further now!

I see we now have a double swing-double leaf door, good I guess but bi-fold doors are far more common.

Can we have the custom door tool introduced in the next service pack please?

Thanks

As far as I can see the only changes to the door tool are the introduction of a double leaf-double swing door (as in commercial kitchen 'bomber' doors), and the ability to have a bifold door with an unequal leaf on one side. In my view neither of these is very useful, and far less common than bi-fold doors.

It really should not be necessary to purchase expensive additional CAD software such as Windoor to do this, as we should have everything within Vectorworks shouldn't we?? We have been asking for this since before VW2013 was launched-

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=36120&Number=178159#Post178159

http://needleandmortar.com/wiki/door-tool-improvements-2014/#3-bi-folding-sliding-doors.

Can we have the custom door tool introduced in the next service pack please?

It is extremely unlikely that a large change to a tool or command will be included in a service pack. Service packs are designed to correct broken components and add compatibility for newer hardware/software.

I will certainly submit the request, but unless stated otherwise int he future, only the large numbered releases add completely new functionality.

Hi,

I've just updated to VWA 2015 and I have two problems:

1) After installation, if I start the program from the menu windows application the following message appears: "A Vectorworks dongle could not be found. Make sure that the dongle is connected and that all required drivers have benn installed. Vectorvorks will now quit" .

Alternatively, if I start the program directly from the program folder (c: \ programms \ Vectorworks2015), VWA starts right. Why is this happening?

2) While working with any type of document, after about every minute of the program lags for about 3 seconds. This happens all the time. I read about someone who has similar problem in previous posts.

Thanks if someone helps me.