Vectorworks 2015 , 64bit and other technical questions

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I tried to download the Vectorworks 2015 but i got 2014.

Is that because im from Holland?

If you're using the English version of Vectorworks there, it should go live for you today. If you are using a localized language copy, you will have to check with your local distributor for launch details, they all have different plans.

If you're using the English version of Vectorworks there, it should go live for you today. If you are using a localized language copy, you will have to check with your local distributor for launch details, they all have different plans.

More or less correct. The "English copy" isn't the "English copy" around the world. Once everything is ready, as a VSS member you will receive an email inviting you to download your serial and VW 2015 software. It's no use going to the portal before receiving that email.

Please: DO get your 2015 serial number too (there's a button to do that). You CANNOT install VW 2015 with your VW 2014 serial number.

Edited by BaRa

More or less correct. The "English copy" isn't the "English copy" around the world. Once everything is ready, as a VSS member you will receive an email inviting you to download your serial and VW 2015 software. It's no use going to the portal before receiving that email.

Please: DO get your 2015 serial number too (there's a button to do that). You CANNOT install VW 2015 with your VW 2014 serial number.

Ok, clear!

Patiently waiting..... outlook > F9 > F9 > F9 ;)

Patrick, you will need to duplicate / modify wall styles to do what you want. I'm pretty sure. We are also introducing new templates for Architecture and BIM in the "New..." command. The BIM templates have some advanced (constrained) wall styles embedded in them.

Are these templates in the new program install?

Is there a tutorial video coming that will explain how best to use these and their "new advanced embedded features"?

Are these templates in the new program install?

They should be included in the Architect downloadable content. I do not know about video tutorials for them specifically.

(I have many tutorials to make on my various lists, so they may be further down the pipe than I can see, or not scheduled to be created by my team.)

Edited by JimW

Jim,

Our engineering office currently uses VW 2014 Fundamentals. The new feature matrix lists "Robust PDF Integration" as included for Fundamentals users, and the VW 2015 Help file lists several .pdf-related options as being available for Fundamentals users.

The ability to import .pdfs is one of the few Design Series features we'd actually use (along with Publish), and I got my hopes up there for a minute. However, it doesn't look like .pdf importation is actually provided, despite what the new feature matrix seemed to imply...is that correct?

Thanks.

Edited by Bret
Jim,

Our engineering office currently uses VW 2014 Fundamentals. The new feature matrix lists "Robust PDF Integration" as included for Fundamentals users, and the VW 2015 Help file lists several .pdf-related options as being available for Fundamentals users.

The ability to import .pdfs is one of the few Design Series features we'd actually use (along with Publish), and I got my hopes up there for a minute. However, it doesn't look like .pdf importation is actually provided, despite what the new feature matrix seemed to imply...is that correct?

Thanks.

Fundamentals can not import/export PDFs. The feature matrix looks to be incorrect. I had seen this before release and thought it was corrected already, but apparently not.

If someone with a design series version gave you a file that had PDFs in it already, you would be able to change the snapping and cropping as it says, but listing it there is misleading.

Letting them know now.

Thanks for confirming, Jim.

I have never understood the logic behind leaving that particular format out of Fundamentals - .pdf is a universal standard for information interchange, much more used and much more basic than Cinema 4D, Rhino, Parasolid, and many of the other proprietary ones which are included with Fundamentals. For an engineering office of our size, though, the fairly high cost of upgrading everyone to Design Series licenses outweighs the benefit since there are so few features we would actually benefit from.

Anyway, I'll remake my annual request: please include .pdf support for the Fundamentals license...we would appreciate it greatly.

• Administrator

Matrix is correct, part of the Robust PDF are the snapping and cropping that is part of Fundamentals, see note at the end.

"*PDF/A is available in Vectorworks Architect, Landmark,

Spotlight, and Designer. PDF snapping improvement

and cropping is supported in Fundamentals."

but I understand it can be confusing.

That was just video editing fluffery. I had worried about it being misinterpreted at first too, but then realized that those UI elements would actually be worse, since there is no way to determine the point you want to bend/bulge/taper FROM with just a graphic-grabbable dial UI.

Agreed. I think the main misconceptions in the video were because it showed a mouse cursor interfacing with it directly, rather than some more abstract graphic element. Submitting the wish for the solid preview now.

Lastly I just want to say. The stability is just amazing. I've been pushing this thing hard to crash. I would have crashed at least 50 times in 2014 and not even once in 2015. Fantastic Job!!!!

Excellent. I and others did our damnedest to abuse 2015 all throughout its alpha and beta stages this year with stability and resilience in mind. It appears to have paid off.

Importing an skp file with a single chair. Instead of creating a single symbol it creates several symbols which then means you can't place the symbol as it is a number of pieces. Is it possible to control this?

Thanks

Only from Sketchup directly. If you import the chair, select all of it then create your own symbol, you can place it as one unit.

I am not sure what controls this in Sketchup, some files import as one symbol or one mesh object, some come in as multiple symbols, it depends how it was created from what I understand.

Ok got it. It is actually quite smart. A component in Su = a symbol in VW. I would say this was 100% correct. Just made up some examples to see how it works and well done to the programming team. It is actually better than I expected because you can bring in the model as a mesh and because it is a mesh you can use auto hybrid. In 2014 you had to convert the model to a mesh before using auto hybrid but the issue was that it would lose its material mapping. In 2015 you have a lot more control and you can easily use auto hybrid and it keeps all of its mapping.

Very good indeed

Just lost an entire file because we opened it in 2015. Unable to save back to 2014 or 2013. We are now stuck in 2015.

Not sure why? When you open a 2014 file it tells you that it has to convert it to 2015. Then when saving it prompts you for a new name with the suffix 2015 after it. In order to overwrite the file you have to manually name it exactly the same as your 2014 file.

Was going to ask the same question, what specifically happened? I want to catch everything as early as possible.