Vectorworks 2015 , 64bit and other technical questions

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Will the 64 bit version work on a 32 bit pc?

It will not, however this year there will be a 32bit Windows version as well as a 64bit Windows version. On Mac, a 64bit Operating system (10.7 or later) is required.

in recent vw releases there were problems opening files created in older versions of vw. 2014 was a little better in this respect. how is 2015?

If its just coming from 2014, I have not seen issues. any time you come from MANY versions back (3+) or from versions that had significant differences in the base objects, you may see problems.

Looking forward to the getting the upgrade, movie trailer looks good, but will we now finally be able to have bifold doors with an uneven number of leafs? (been waiting sooooooo long now)

I may misunderstand, do you mean uneven sizes of leaf, or uneven number of leafs? (Wouldn't 3 leafs then be "tri-fold"?)

Are there any improvements in the Door/Window tool? These are crucial to our workflow as architects and the current tools do not work well. Consequently we use Windoor from Ozcad. Can you confirm if this is compatible with VW2015? If not we can't make the upgrade as Windoor is essential to the work that we carry out.

The stair tool also could do with an overhaul. Can you confirm if the latest release has any improvements in this regard.

we use Windoor from Ozcad. Can you confirm if this is compatible with VW2015? If not we can't make the upgrade as Windoor is essential to the work that we carry out.

You'll have to check with Ozcad about that, I do not know.

The stair tool also could do with an overhaul. Can you confirm if the latest release has any improvements in this regard.

More configurations (Mainly for O-type stairs) were added, as well as options for angled landings.

How about Vectorscript/python improvements. Anything been added or updated there?

I do not think there were any dramatic changes, but I am not fluent in or very knowledgeable on scripting yet unfortunately.

Jim how about my favorite pet bug? Rendering of image bitmaps in OpenGL and Renderworks views. If you remember some times image bitmaps would render in 2014... and then sometimes they wouldn't. That fixed by chance?

Currently it seems fine in testing here, but I see some odd notes in the case about it. I will see if I can verify that this fix is implemented but its looking good.

Will the 64 bit version work on a 32 bit pc?

It will not, however this year there will be a 32bit Windows version as well as a 64bit Windows version.

Hello Jim

You mean VW 2015 still 32-bit or like c4d r13 with 2 executables in directory - CINEMA 4D.exe and CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe

i mean in VW 2015 directory:

• for old windows XP 32 bit OS - Vectorworks2015 32 bit.exe
  • for newer windows 7-8.1 64 bit OS - Vectorworks2015 64 bit.exe

or only compilation of VW2015 32 bit with switch to support more RAM

I started with VW 2014.

VW has some really nice features but I was disappointed that it felt

a bit like a Win 3.1 app.

I thought I read here that 64 bit won't come very soon.

Therefor I'm really happy to hear that VW 2015 will be now 64 bit

and rewritten in cocoa. That was my main complaint about VW.

I should have no more RAM issues with larger projects and exports

and more consistent UI windows.

I think that was a lot of work and makes a good base for further

refinements.

So I hope I could get in the future a graphical UI refresh, 4 window views,

Parasolid in all 3D geometry and BIM Tools, a two way Cinema connection

and a losless direct BIM exchange between, at least all 3 packages, of the

Nemetschek family.

:-)

Edited by zoomer

That is how it will be, yes. The installer will check which version of the OS you are running and install the appropriate one.

Have there been any updates to Spotlight features?

Yes, a whole pack of new stage objects, as well as improvements to the Instrument Summary objects and the way labels on Lighting Devices can be handled for various rotations.

Stage plugs (how the old Stage tool used to work) in addition to stage decks, ramps and lifts all now get their own configurable plugin objects.

That is how it will be, yes. The installer will check which version of the OS you are running and install the appropriate one.

Thank you. Well-well ;) we will see soon

Thank you. Well-well ;) we will see soon

To clarify, the application will always be named "Vectorworks 2015.exe" , it will simply give you the 32bit version or 64bit version depending upon which OS you are detected as having during the install. It wont be named 64 or 32, you will just get the one.

Looking forward to 64bit. So many files I can't import from my other CAD software packages, I can't wait for Vectorworks to finally take advantage of all my RAM and shader processors!

It will now take advantage of all your RAM, but it will not be capable of using the shader processors in your GPU for anything other than OpenGL or 3D Wireframe display yet. That is separate from the conversion to 64bit.

Hi Jim

Any word on improvements/upgrades to Landmark?

Yes:

Is the DTM getting anything new?

Yes, in addition to on-screen error indicators on site models (a visual alert for things like overlapping modifiers, etc) they have added varied batter slope to the create pad from grade limits command, slope-aware area calculations, and improved the Grade tool quite a bit.