Vectorworks 2015 , 64bit and other technical questions

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Great! thanks!

Why no windows apps? :( Please make one :) In my opinion a very solid platform that works really well together (phone <> tablet <> comp)

It is a wonderful platform! I love it, it's great. Apps have the ability to 'talk' and share with each other, from the beginning, (unlike others). And the synchronization between all their stuff is amazing, even with the webapps...

Putting in a request now.

When you import an object from sketchup you can only use the auto hybrid tool if you convert the object to a mesh. If you do this then in some cases the material mapping gets somewhat confused.

With the new .skp import will it be easier to auto hybrid an imported object?

thanks

Well now importing it natively as a mesh is an option. You no longer have to import it and deal will all the 3D polygons. So as long as you import an SKP as a mesh in the first place (a setting that sticks after you choose it the first time) then you shouldn't run into the mapping issues that occur when you do the 3D Poly > Mesh conversion manually.

thanks Jim,

try a texture with a pattern on it and rescale. The bike images are single colour textures. If it does rescale the texture then that will be incredibly impressive.

Grab a bookcase from sketch up with a single book texture on it, put it into VW and rescale the bookcase and see what happens to the book texture (I use that as an example when teaching to show why you should not (currently) rescale in VW.

Thanks again

thanks Jim,

try a texture with a pattern on it and rescale. The bike images are single colour textures. If it does rescale the texture then that will be incredibly impressive.

Grab a bookcase from sketch up with a single book texture on it, put it into VW and rescale the bookcase and see what happens to the book texture (I use that as an example when teaching to show why you should not (currently) rescale in VW.

Thanks again

Seems like it works now:

(To get a closer look, right click the images and choose "Open in new tab"/"View in new window")

[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/wCxE0JQ.png[/img]

[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/i3QbSbK.jpg[/img]

Edited by JimW

There was a press conference yesterday on the 2015 release, I will be posting the articles and reviews as they come in for your viewing pleasure:

Architosh:

http://architosh.com/2014/09/nemetschek-vectorworks-inc-announces-upcoming-vectorworks-2015-product-line/

Kevin Lee Allen - Entertainment Design:

http://klad.com/blog/?p=4535

AEC Magazine:

http://aecmag.com/technology-mainmenu-35/657-news-vectorworks-2015-launched-featuring-64bit-support

Will the new Artistic Edges render mode outline the texture image, or just the polygon it's on? For example, if you have a leaf texture mapped onto a square polygon, will Edges rendering outline the leaf or the square?

Thanks.

It will outline the geometry, or trace the hatch lines included within the texture. Unfortunately it is not able to identify separate elements within the single image the texture is based upon.

Edited by JimW
Will the new Artistic Edges render mode outline the texture image, or just the polygon it's on? For example, if you have a leaf texture mapped onto a square polygon, will Edges rendering outline the leaf or the square?

Thanks.

It will outline the geometry, or trace the hatch lines included within the texture. Unfortunately it is not able to identify separate elements within the single image the texture is based upon.

Oh well. It would have been nice, but one step at a time, I guess. That is a very tricky thing to do.

We have a 2-year upgrade policy and have just moved to 2014 (teaching starts in September so we can't go for 2015 as we have to get everything in place). I fully expect we will break with tradition and get 2015 instead of waiting for 2016. It has lots of features we can use immediately and are excited by - I am really happy with what I have seen and what has been put forward.

Many thanks

I have to correct Jim on an earlier point. He said:

Im going to number your list if you don't mind:

1) Is it possible to bound a wall between the 1st and 4th floor and put windows in al floors?

As far as I understand it, yes. the Doors and Windows' heights can be bound to levels instead of layers, so they can all be in one wall in one layer but the various levels lets you control individual object height.

The new layer-less story levels do not allow you to create multi-story walls that display correctly on all interposed floors. They DO create a lot of flexibility, and accuracy in modeling wall materials, and some over-lapping from one story to the next that was not possible before.

Thanks Robert I get it now, I can already see how that will save me a lot of time creating wall style duplicates with an offset component and then having to edit the offset every time I move my storeys/layers.

To confirm the above, can we now use the same wall style and have some of the drawn walls constrained to the new levels and others not? Or do we still need to duplicate them?

Oh well it won't cut down the clutter of multiple duplicated wall styles and it won't create multi-story walls that display correctly on all interposed floors... sounds like it will mainly be a workaround to having materials connections. We'll have to experiment to uncover the other usefulness of these new constraints when it comes out, hope there are some good video demonstrations for this on it's INTENDED USE's as there will be a LOT of head scratching I think.r

Edited by Patrick Fritsch

Nooooooo! Why is this not on the top of the list. This is such a basic necessity.

This also dampens my enthusiasm for the texture retention in 3ds imports. I find that most textures are asymmetric when created in other software so although they import okay (So I am assuming there is independent x-y scaling happening somewhere inside vectorworks) when you go and try to edit anything the texture goes back to being symmetric and messes everything up.

Please oh please make sure that this goes on a priority list.

Was this requested on the wishlist already? If so, link me to it and I will make sure its submitted.

Was this requested on the wishlist already? If so, link me to it and I will make sure its submitted.

Although I sent in emails many times with my own wish lists, I never entered them into this site. I did not know that was the process, or that the powers that be looked here. I will create some wish list entries shortly.

No problem, it was not made clear by us. I will submit them immediately.

Where are the new feature videos being 'leaked'?

No leaky shenanigans! The feature videos will all be released on September 16th, they will be available on our main website as well as our YouTube channel.

I'll be posting them here as soon as they're public as well:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=201679#Post201679

I'm sure there will be more questions once the user base sees the more detailed changes. The main launch video only covers some of the largest features.