Vectorworks 2015 , 64bit and other technical questions

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 Maybe changes to nurbs curves / surfaces and the loft tools?

2 does the clip cube now show caps on the cutting plane, or snap too the cutting plane?

3 separate class options for the opacity of the fill and the opacity of the line?

1) None that I have seen.

2) Yes and yes.

3) Not this time around.

Any changes with the process of exporting rendered viewports as image files? Or the 'Export Image' command, in general?

Image export was added to the Publish command, so you can now export sheet layers, saved views, etc as images.

So can you now scale an imported 3ds file and have the textures properly scale with it? (after import, not during it)? Also, the new mesh smoothing - does it work like a phong smoothing tag in C4D? Can you apply it to just the model, or is it a global file setting?

I'll check the scaling thing tomorrow, I had not tried scaling one after import to see if texture mapping remained.

Mesh smoothing can be applied either globally for the whole document, or per-object on individual meshes. You can also do both and override the smoothing angle on certain meshes.

Levels will let you bind not only the wall, but any component within a wall to a level. Levels CAN exceed the bounds of a story. A plan view is still dependent on layer settings.

Ow, will this mean that storys and their levels are now seperated? Or does that stays the same, but with the exception that they can be at any height?

Glad to hear that wall components can now be bound to a level, which I always wanted to do, as those offsets just didn't feel right.... Are these component bounds attached to the wall style? or can we override them for each wall? The second would be great for walls under roofs...

1) Is it possible to bound a wall between the 1st and 4th floor and put windows in al floors?

As far as I understand it, yes. the Doors and Windows' heights can be bound to levels instead of layers, so they can all be in one wall in one layer but the various levels lets you control individual object height.

But can we bound the wall itself over a couple of layers/storys? And then being able to have our plan views still showing correctly, like VW automatically showing that wall on all layers it goes through?

Great! thanks!

Why no windows apps? :( Please make one :) In my opinion a very solid platform that works really well together (phone <> tablet <> comp)

It is a wonderful platform! I love it, it's great. Apps have the ability to 'talk' and share with each other, from the beginning, (unlike others). And the synchronization between all their stuff is amazing, even with the webapps...

1) Is it possible to bound a wall between the 1st and 4th floor and put windows in al floors?

As far as I understand it, yes. the Doors and Windows' heights can be bound to levels instead of layers, so they can all be in one wall in one layer but the various levels lets you control individual object height.

But can we bound the wall itself over a couple of layers/storys? And then being able to have our plan views still showing correctly, like VW automatically showing that wall on all layers it goes through?

What you are asking is if you can model the building in 3D, disregard layers and stories in the process, and still get the correct plan views for the different stories. The answer to that question is: no. To get a correct 2DPlan representation, you need 2D or hybrid objects on specific layers. Vectorworks will not deduct the complete plan view based on a specified cut height. That only works with isolated objects like the Autohybrid object.

What you are asking is if you can model the building in 3D, disregard layers and stories in the process, and still get the correct plan views for the different stories. The answer to that question is: no. To get a correct 2DPlan representation, you need 2D or hybrid objects on specific layers. Vectorworks will not deduct the complete plan view based on a specified cut height. That only works with isolated objects like the Autohybrid object.

Then what's the point of being able to bound your wall over multiple stories when they will not show up? This will result in still having to do windows that span stories with workarounds...

The levels are more of a organizational feature, you would not see them ever anywhere in 3D. That brief preview in the video is a bit misleading into how they work, it is showing what they do, not how they do it. The feature is fully explained and demonstrated in the New Feature Videos that will be released at launch.

Maybe the new feature video will clarify it more but how it's demonstrated in the video (and show in 3D views) is how it needs to work to be really useful.

basically it's a 3D locus with a name...

The rectangle wall mode looks interesting though. (among others)

Edited by Kizza
How about some basic housekeeping, like changing a drawing number in the OIP for standard viewports like you can for section viewports? Or dealing with the Viewport Name / Drawing Name duality? Speed improvements to Auto Hybrids? Did any of that make this release?

KM

I do not believe that numbering or naming was changed this version, no. They have cleaned up AutoHybrids a bit, but not dramatically enough for it to be listed as its own "new" feature.

Is the DTM getting anything new?

Yes, in addition to on-screen error indicators on site models (a visual alert for things like overlapping modifiers, etc) they have added varied batter slope to the create pad from grade limits command, slope-aware area calculations, and improved the Grade tool quite a bit.

As far as the animation goes, I always use the Apple Intermediate Codec which has been MILES better than H.264.

Will that option still be available on a Mac with VW 2015?

Matt

No, it looks like it had to be dropped to make the move to 64bit. However I know there are greater updates planned for the Create Animation command, it would be worth wishlisting that codec among anything else you wanted included.

Then what's the point of being able to bound your wall over multiple stories when they will not show up? This will result in still having to do windows that span stories with workarounds...

You're turning it around. You asked if it was possible to bind walls or wall components over multiple stories. And that is possible. But that is not why levels were introduced - that is not their goal. Levels were introduced to make working with stories easier. And that is what they do. It improves the workflow significantly.

Edited by BaRa

Create a new topic here:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=12

Name it something that summarizes your request and detail what you are looking for and the benefit it would provide you in the body of the message.

(If you have more than one request and they are not directly related, its best to create a new topic for each request for organizational purposes.)

You're turning it around. You asked if it was possible to bind walls or wall components over multiple stories. And that is possible. But that is not why levels were introduced - that is not their goal. Levels were introduced to make working with stories easier. And that is what they do. It improves the workflow significantly.

You say 'introduced'. Does that mean that the story levels we have now are also still in there? If so, that will be more confusing.... I hope not off course. Can someone bring some clarity on this please? (From what I understood, the story levels we have now are just being updated...)

Edited by Dieter @ DWorks
You say 'introduced'. Does that mean that the story levels we have now are also still in there? If so, that will be more confusing.... I hope not off course. Can someone bring some clarity on this please? (From what I understood, the story levels we have now are just being updated...)

"Levels" are new. Previously, you had Stories and Design layers, where if you wanted to bound the top or bottom of something to a specific height, you needed to create a design layer at that height specifically for the purpose of binding that object to it, even if it was just one object.

Levels will be introduced in 2015, they do not reside in your design layer list and clutter it up. they are basically a binding point for the tops and bottoms of objects.

It's difficult to describe without showing you, wait until the full feature demos come out to explain it as well as the trial so you can see if it benefits you directly.