Vectorworks 2015 , 64bit and other technical questions

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
crashing like crazy this morning...working with large site models, as is often the case. i expect that the shift to 64 bit will help significantly?

ray

For all testing I have done, it should indeed. The large majority of crashing issues I have seen from users in the past two years were memory-based, which would be at the very least reduced by the memory limit increase if not resolved flat out.

In situations where there are massive issues with the base geometry, that needs to be corrected in the specific file where the issue is occurring but that's less than 15% of cases in my experience.

Sorry I can't give a more absolute answer, but crashing really is case-by-case.

You'll be able to test your files in the trial version to make sure the issues are resolved before making a decision, I encourage everyone to do so as soon as it becomes available.

I see it playing fine on Safari 7.0.6 on both internal and external networks here on OS X 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9.

I would just watch it on one of the browsers on your machine that is working, if you want to troubleshoot your Safari browser specifically you can start with wiping the cookies/cache:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4448839?tstart=0

I gave up on Internet Explorer and Safari long ago personally, but we still test those, FireFox and Chrome as the most commonly used browsers.

Edited by JimW

I can now answer any questions you have about Vectorworks 2015.

More detailed news coverage material and feature-specific videos/images will be rolling out in the next few days of course, but I have been cleared to answer your preliminary questions now.

Edited by JimW
Do you think we can add spandrel panels and back pans to this new curtain wall tool? Typical curtain wall components...

Yes.

I believe what you'll want to use are the modes for the panel components called "Spandrel" which lets you do a solid plate of differing parameters than the glass/glazing panels and "Spandrel with Glazing" which lets you do a solid plate on one side with glass on the other.

With the introduction of 64 bit to VW, will we have the ability to choose a session based default 3D render mode?

i.e. all renders in 3D can be defaulted to hidden line? Live hidden line rendering?

You can now select Wireframe or OpenGL as your default rendering mode as well as a separate setting for Orthogonal or Perspective projections.

however, not Hidden Line yet. It was deemed too slow to use as a default rendering mode however this may change soon, with the last tweaks to the graphics module speed they did towards the end of release Hidden Line for simple-to-medium complexity files was reasonable on higher powered graphics hardware. There is still some CPU dependency in Hidden Line though that limits its speed, this will vanish eventually but I do not know exactly when.

Thank you for all the information on VW 2015.

I have a few more questions regarding the impending update:

i) Will it make full use of high resolution (retina) displays?

Yes. Vectorworks now includes the needed UI scaling to be compatible with Retina displays, as well as the 2X icon set to account for the increased pixel count. (If that is what you meant by full use.)