Hi,

I've been working on a vectorworks piping run module and was wondering if there was some public interest for it.

Currently it features a 2D+3D path based drainage object which is close to completion. Eventually this module will create any pipeline needed in construction (domestic water, heating, gas..)

The drainage plugin main features:

• Easy automatic connections between segments, even within segments. Both variants can connect to eachother.

• Automatic pipe dimensioning based on user-input( from worksheet, symbol or manual input ).

• Insulation options

• External file based material roughness and available diameters.

• Both objects have a lot of visual options in 2D/3D customizable by classes.

• 3D

• IFC export

the following updated video shows about everything that can be achieved with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF26ajstBJI

DEMO

PLATFORM: windows and MacOs

VECTORWORKS: 2013-2014

The demo has 3 restrictions that allow you to explore all the plugin features but prevents you from using it properly on a project:

• It will prevent you from creating more then 3 objects. If you do, one of the previous placed objects will be deleted automaticly. (Don't bother grouping/locking)

• It will add some random characters before/after the diameterlabel on the drawing.

• Its limited in time until end 2014.

The download package(NL/EN) includes:

• Installation instructions

• A user manual.

• The plugin

• an example VWX file with some predefined classes and 2 worksheets(Device sheet + quantity sheet).

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7r3mw7wh6f5y3pn/AADM3SMas6fesIPDK7Pt1Uy2a?dl=0

If you take the time to test it out I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, bugs.. It's still a work in progress.

Edited by JimW

Hello Wouter

Great tool!

I have question: has your tool feature to make gradient(different level between tie-in or pipes)?

Calculation of pipe dimensions based on user-input( from worksheet, symbol or manual input ).

And with my first question, will it be into table data...dynamic data(pipe network and table specification) too?

Edited by Ilay
has your tool feature to make gradient(different level between tie-in or pipes)?

The 2D plug-in allows you to choose a slope as percentage which is used in the calculation of the drain but the segment will always be visual horizontal. If you'd like to create segments with vertexes that shift in height there is a 3D variant that does exactly the same as in the video but allows you to work in 3 Dimensions.

The 2D variant will also get the option to be converted into the 3D variant, based on an angle. This makes drawing a complex 3D pipe much easier.

I've decided to create the same tool in 2D as well as in 3D because 3D doesn't offer the extended editing options of vertexes as you have in 2D.

Calculation of pipe dimensions based on user-input( from worksheet, symbol or manual input ).

And with my first question, will it be into table data...dynamic data(pipe network and table specification) too?

For each drain you create, you can select a flow ( liters /second ). This flow can come from text fields in the oip, from predefined "devices" as a drop down list (from worksheet) or from symbols (with recordfields attached). You can always overwrite the diameter.

As you saw on the video, connected objects update eachother on any change. Changing or moving something in a complex chain will update the whole chain.

All of what is drawn can be loaded into a worksheet with all the specifications visible the same way you use reports for other objects.

• 3 weeks later...
Wouter, it looks very interesting.

Some queries:

- does it model falls for the 'plan view' runs?

For now only for vertical segments "90?". An arrow(symbol) indicating the direction will be drawn in plan view on the vertex where the vertical segment begins.

- will it model vertical drops and stacks?

Vertical drops as answered above. This can be drawn with the 3D variant.

Not sure what you mean with "stacks" ?

To be usable in 3D it needs to have the ability to model the falls in plan runs.

A stack is a vertical plumbing pipe (usually in a duct) that the plumbing runs at each floor connect to.

Oh yes you can.

You can create unlimited connections between the 2D and 3D variant of the object. The 3D variant can be used to create the vertical ones or any other combination. The 3D variant behaves as a 3D polygon so you can go nuts with it.

I'll also update the video tomorrow showing the answer to all these questions.

I've had Jim help me update the first post.

The description has changed, a new better video showing off all features is added and the promised demo.

EDIT:

Clients seem to have problems installing the demo so I've removed it for now. It seems to be a weird problem of missing DLL's I'd like to resolve first.

Edited by hippothamus
  • 2 weeks later...