first dutch teaser vw 2015?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11013&filename=image.jpg

Eenvoudige gordijngevels kan je snel en makkelijk maken met Vectorworks. Maar wat als we verklappen dat je ook dit organische 3D-model vlot kan aanpassen, vlot de materialen kan toekennen, en meteen kan gebruiken in een OpenBIM-workflow? Stay tuned!

It roughly says:

Simple curtainwalls can (now) be quickly and easily created with VWs. But what if we reveal that this organic 3D model easily can be adjusted, materials quickly can be assigned and that it can be directly used in an OpenBIM workflow?

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'll do that now!

Vectorworks 2015 will be 64bit on Mac OS X (so, any Mac running OS X 10.7 and up at the moment) and will have both 32bit and 64bit versions on the Windows side. This is mainly to allow for Windows XP to still run Vectorworks this next year but I am fairly certain this will be the last year we support XP at all since Microsoft already dropped it in April. Most likely the following year Windows will be 64bit only as well.

I can't answer every question yet, but the technical stuff is fine.

Yes. Rewriting large chunks of the software to bring it to 64bit was a LARGE portion of engineering's time for the last 2-3 years. With that mostly out of the way they can (and have already started to) devote their time to fixing issues and adding completely new features as well.

It also gives them a much larger sandbox to work in, with a greater amount of usable memory which allows for the development of more complex and graphics/memory/cpu intensive tools and commands.

Wow, 'you/they' managed to get it done in time for this years release? Well done! That's very promising!

Has testing shown if this also has done away with the 'out of memory' problems?

I've recently started considering aquiring a maxed out 27" iMac and the way it looks now it will take a while before the new Broadwell chips will ship so i probably won't wait for them, but compared to my current MacBook Pro, anyone have any thoughts, reflections or advice considering this, it's quite an investment for a little company like mine?! Will 64bit VWs be an even larger improvement in this regard, i mean will VWs make more use of the iMacs power?

Christiaan you've been using iMacs a while now right? anything you can comment on?

Ps to be honest RW renders rarely take more than 10 mins with the settings and quality i need so in this case perhaps only internal power and efficiency are of interest to compare, I'm quite up to date on the Cinema 4D requirements and possible shortcomings of my system but not so when it comes to Vws internal capabilities of utilizing the hardware......and how large an improvement an upgrade might be.

I'm still very pleased with the MBP, sometimes sections can take a little too long to not be irritating and some OpenGL crashes and hiccups have been irritating but nothing major......

Cheers!

Edited by Vincent C

So someone posts a picture of a facade design and OpenBIM, and you automatically assume that it's about Vectorworks 2015? I think I'm gonna ask you guys to fill in my lottery slips from now on, you seem to believe you're clairvoyant. Or how people always read what they want to read, and not what is written ;)

Good news concerning 64 bit!

Edited by BaRa

1. There is a ? at the end of the thread header.......

2. It says it is Vectorworks in the text......

3. It is not currently possible to do this with the current curtainwall tool......

4. There is a vectorworks heliodon symbol in the sky of the image.........

....so, yeah is that so strange.....?! You buy lottery tickets? Have you ever won anything?

...and if it is someone who took the trouble to make that and post it then they succeeded and good for them :grin:

Edited by Vincent C

Not sure where that particular model/image came from originally, its not something I have been working on. It shows off a new feature, albeit in an abstract manner.

Has testing shown if this also has done away with the 'out of memory' problems?

I'm not going to say "done away with" as there are still things you could do that would hit your own machines max memory, but the out of memory errors where users were just smacking into Vectorworks 2014's much tighter limits should be a thing of the past shortly.

I'm sure there's someone out there with a file with 300,000,000 polys all individually textured that will still run out of memory when they try to duplicate them in a 10x10 array or something like that, but it shouldn't be happening under normal circumstances any longer in 2015.

I'm not much for the games personally. I really like the Maxon approach - announce and demo in advance of the release and of the subscription renewal deadlines.

Jim's approach is ok too - giving real, complete information. Teasing something just leads to disappointment based on past experience....

I am very thankful the introduction of the VSS was delayed in Canada and that my VSS renewal happens in March :-)

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

It really doesn't matter, a lot of people are simply interested in streamlining their workflow and getting the job done as efficiently as possible with as few workarounds as possible, any news that suggests this is about to happen is interesting be they true or false, the real answers come after about 6-8 weeks of testing the new version......regardless if new features come as teasers, news flashes or what ever......

Ah, wishlists. Well, there's a very, very long wishlist for Vectorworks (as for all major software solutions). Just look at the topic for VW 2015 on Linkedin - it just keeps on going. Anyway, knowing NVW, I doubt they would reveal anything before release date. And if they did, they would be more explicit.

But as long as the wishing well is open to the public, I would like inclined walls and tapered walls. Super handy for renovations, when you need to draw the existing situation. ;)

Good tagline Vincent! Yours is good too Jim, the new company motto?

For human interaction, conflict, argument, and debate to generate results, however, it's essential that the subject is transparent and able to be addressed without fear or favour.

That's not the (G.) Nemetschek way we've been witnessing over the last couple years.

Back on topic, and assuming the teaser is legit, "materials quickly can be assigned and that it can be directly used in an OpenBIM workflow", is attention grabbing.

Isn't perhaps MATERIALS :owith IFC classing and plugin malleability more the focus of the teaser, than the curtain wall tool itself??? Too optimistic?

And the "out of memory" bug (mostly) fixed with 64bit, that's a few big ticket items out of the bag already.

It roughly says: Simple curtainwalls can (now) be quickly and easily created with VWs. But what if we reveal that this organic 3D model easily can be adjusted, materials quickly can be assigned and that it can be directly used in an OpenBIM workflow?
Edited by M5d
ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11013&filename=image.jpg

Eenvoudige gordijngevels kan je snel en makkelijk maken met Vectorworks. Maar wat als we verklappen dat je ook dit organische 3D-model vlot kan aanpassen, vlot de materialen kan toekennen, en meteen kan gebruiken in een OpenBIM-workflow? Stay tuned!

It roughly says:

Simple curtainwalls can (now) be quickly and easily created with VWs. But what if we reveal that this organic 3D model easily can be adjusted, materials quickly can be assigned and that it can be directly used in an OpenBIM workflow?

Clever way to get around the NDA! By simply saying "What if", our Dutch friends are only speaking hypothetically, and are neither confirming nor denying what is in the latest release.

Edited by Bob-H