DWG/DXF 3d object import

I am having problems importing a 3d object from a manufacturers website (www.fritzhansen.com) into VW . After importing the DXF and DWF from the site the scale is still way off even after changing appropriate scales and layer setup setting in import dialog.

thanks

Ola

Vw 10, OSX 10.2.3

New Pwbook G4

1ghz &1gb memory [Frown]

Ola, did you make sure to check the appropriate "UNITS" . When you import, in the first (or second?) dialog to open it allows you to choose units. I think the default is "inches", which if left unchanged will create very strange scaling behavior IF the original document is in "feet", for instance. Good Luck. Peter Cipes, G4 450/2 , os 10.2 , VW 10.01

When importing a dxf/dwg file, there are two things you need to check before allwoing the import.

In the Import Dxf/DWG dialog box, the units are critical as mentioned by a user above.

If the units are not specified correctly, the objects will come in at the wrong size.

The second, and more common problem when importing, is the Model Space Scale section on the right hand side about the middle of the box.

There are two options -

Fit to Page

This Scale

Fit to page will change the size of the objects in the drawing to get them to fit on the page size specified in the print menu.

Of course, this usually causes the import to be the wrong size.

This scale should almost always be used. This will import the drawing at the scale it was drawin in and apply the scale of the current active layer (or you can change it by clicking on the Scale button)to the drawing. So if everything was drawn correctly in size in the other application, using "This Scale" will make the drawing come in at the right scale.

Note- changing the scale by clicking on the Scale button will not change the measurements of objects. It will only change the relative appearance or scale of the objects on the screen.

If you have a 2' x 2' rectangle, it will still be 2'x2' at 1:1, 1:50, 1:48, 1:2500, etc.

Thanks guys for all the help. I finally figured out that the fritz hansen site uses millimeters . However , I am still having problems viewing the imported object in my file. With the chair I imported, the object showed up as an ungrouped multiline drawings or with parts such as chair legs missing. May be it just the way the part is saved on the web site. Anyway , I thought I'd be able to import assign classes and use the objects in my renderworks models. If any one has any luck using the objects from the site let me know. I think I am convinced the objects are only usuable for autocad. [Roll Eyes]