ifc export of separate wall/slab components? how, if possible?

gester

hi,

my bim manager has come up with another task: he'd like me to export the walls and slabs into the ifc file that can be read by navisworks by components, and not as a whole wall piece.

i.e. the wall core, wall insulation, interior plaster, all separately for material take-offs from the ifc file.

apparently (as he maintains) there is a revit and archicad ifc export option to divide the thing into components, read by model evaluating softwares.

i don't know revit, and in archicad 16 i still can't find this functionality among, to be frank, many various ifc export parameters, so i can't verify his claim.

is anything similar possible in vw?

thx,

rob

as for the ifc export: apparently there are in vectorworks only article case 4 unified compositions possible. correct me anybody if i'm wrong.

you can extract the takeoffs via the component numbers from vectorworks itself, but for 3rd party software such functionality is apparently invisible.

this would be a vw serious drawback, should revit and archicad really have ifc export options with components differentiation, even when modelled by whole complex entities, not by components.

rob

Edited by gester
  • 2 weeks later...

i've just got a message from archicad's manager in budapest, laszlo nagy.

starting from ac v18, there is such a functionality.

it goes like this:

'In the IFC Translation Setup Dialog, in the Export Options panel, click the Options button for the Geometry representation field.

In the appearing Dialog, you will see the "Export Composite and Complex Profile elements into parts" checkbox. Check this checkbox. The Help file says it will do the following:

Explode Composite and Complex Profile elements into parts: This will save composite elements (e.g. Slab or Wall) and Complex Profiles (e.g. Column, Wall, Beam) as so-called ?Building Element Parts?. This means that the main element (e.g. IfcWall) will be saved as a container element without geometry, and its parts (the skins or profile components) will provide the geometry. Use this option to ensure the correct export of the individual colors assigned to the Building Materials of each component. This export option retains the original colors of all building parts, instead of exporting them in all one colour.'

how about vw?

this is an essential issue in terms of interoperability: having a model being able to be split between components that are parts of different work schedules.

rob

jeff,

the offset-decomposing is a real good news. i'll have to check this functionality, thanks for the information.

as for the slabs, i used to model them already divided into the construction core and the floor finish, because cutting the wall gaps out of the whole bunch is too cumbersome.

additionally, i've read in the 2014 june release of the journal of the national institute of building sciences an article on open bim approach based on the arboleda project.

the authors (mr. mr. flamer and server) write about the 'filtered architectural models, then exported via ifc'. the models 'were filtered to contain only the necessary pieces of geometry and data for the structural scope of work, such as beams, columns, slabs, bearing walls and other relevant structural building elements'.

does it mean the wall components were modelled separately?

rob

Edited by gester

jeff,

i have tried to replicate what you'd suggested, but to no avail.

i've examined 3 cases:

1. the existing wall (made in v2012) modified with one component extended (the top horizontal one)

2. the existing wall with one extended component added (plaster 1 cm shorter than the concrete core) - the second from the top, horizontal, too.

3. a new wall created from a 15 cm generic one (still visible in solibri in the wall description) - the bottom horizontal one

the walls 2. and 3. default to the ifcwall, the original (the longest one) remains ifcwallstandardcase.

they all lose the material tab information (compared with the perpendicular ones from the original project) and they turn opaque in solibri (i presume it's a malfunction).

there is no sign of separate wall components in the ifc model.

have i done anything wrong?

btw,

the windows with component overlappings don't show up in 3d as such. i have signalled this malfunction in another thread already.

thanks.

rob

Edited by gester