Am i trying to do something that can't be done in a Worksheet/Database

Hi All,

I am trying to produce a worksheet of developer parcels for a masterplan using the area tool.

The first part of the task is fairly simple, I set out the parcel areas labeling them as approitate and generate the worksheet asking it to find the record information i have input. (this is fine and works exactly how i want it to)

This is where it becomes a little more compilcated, within each of the parcels i have different density ranges of development area low, Med & High, with each density having the sub heading of bottom, middle and top of range, but not all parcels have all of the densities.

and to make it a little more compilcated I need the value to be calculated as unit numbers not areas.

The way i achieved this at present is to create different layer for each range (low, Med, High) and mapped out the areas then generated new works sheets to calculate the information and then had to manually drawn a table and typed out the information. This obviously defeats the automatic updating of information when areas change.

I have attached an image of the table i have drawn out. (it might explain it a little better)

So in essence what i need to know is, if generate an area shedule of all the areas and summerize by area name, can i then have layer referencing commands in each column to pick out the information on each layer.

I have tried using the userfield but i can't get that to calculate the area/range number e.g 2.5(AC)/35 units per ac. and this also requires some manual input.

Sorry if i haven't explained this to well please ask if you need more information.

? if I understand correctly (and I'm not sure that I do): Yes, you can.

I think you could use an if/then/else call and nest them to achieve what you're looking for. Or it might even be simpler than that.

If you can post or email a stripped down drawing with the worksheet and a few areas I'm sure I or someone could give you an example.

I'm sure I don't get it all but;

I'm thinking you need a way to reduce the density for each parcel to a single number so you can do the calculation. In other words break the problem into parts and solve each in turn.

User fields are usually text formatted and math functions don't recognize numbers without VALUE(). You might need to refine the record format or add one of your own that has your fields.

You can also have columns that do math on other columns and then hide them. (width=0) With some IF and >, < logic it can probably be done.

Many thanks for trying to understand what I am trying to do.

I am attaching a file so you can look a little closer at what I have done (half the site removed to reduce file size).

also I will try and explain a little better.

A site is split into parcels to sell, with each parcel we need to dictate whether the it is to have high, med, low density or a mix of the three. each density has a range e.g low is 15-25 units per acre, so I have been asked to show the bottom(15), Mid (20) and Top (25) of each density and calculated the Min - Max development range for the site.

e.g.

Parcel K1 is 7.97(ac) within this parcel there is:

1.11ac of low (15-25 units/ac)

1.36ac of Medium (20 - 35 units/ac)

5.49ac of high (30 - 50 units/ac)

(with a bit left over for open space)

Which needs to be expressed as a schedule.

I have drawn the "master" area K1

Then on different layers drawn the low, med & high all with the same name K1.

So now I would like to run a report that picks up all the areas in the document and summerise by name. then have 4 columns each picking out the different layers. which I can then use as the base of my calculations.

Do you think this can be done?

Thanks you for your time.

Thanks, that example made your intentions much more clear!

I'll attach 2 quick examples that may be helpful.

Here's the problem:

1. When using a database every row of the database represents an object in the drawing. So K1 low, K1 med, and K1 high need to be on 3 rows, because they are 3 different space objects.

2. You can use just regular cells and call the area with a criterion. Not as fast as a database to build and not as smart as a database when adding or subtracting objects, but in a case like this where new parcels are not likely to be added it might work.

To make it look exactly like you want using a database, you would need to write a simple script that fills in either the user fields of a parcel super space object or the field of another record format attached to that object.

hth

mk

Hi MK,

Many thanks for this and I think it is pretty much the result I got before I became a bit frustrated and decomposed the table.

Using the referencing cells would be a bit of a pain as even though it might not seem likely they are going to change, they almost certainly they will (Maybe to do with the phasing and in what order they are sold.)

From what I gather it doesn't look like I can get exactly what I want using formulas in the database headers, so the next question is

Is there a way of linking the spaces so the information can be read as one? (I appreciate this might be a long shot)

Thank you again for your time.

What if you attack from the other side?

Instead of trying to get data from 3 potential space objects to coalesce in one object, what if you use 3 worksheets and add dummy space objects?

Not perfect, but it's the best my brain can do in the morning?.

mk

ps. To get to the 2 mb limit, I had to purge everything else. I also deleted some duplicate spaces...