site model / modifier / retaining walls / curved walls - Yes, I have issues

Howdy folks.

Trouble and 3D and me:

Have tried available methods to create a retaining wall (including Landscape Wall Tools,) placing various walls on site model layer, and adjusting elevation in 3D section view to align with ground level / sending to surface, but no modification is made to the site model - no contour change, no cut or fill. What could I be missing?

In attached screen shot 1, the selected curved wall will not join with adjacent curved walls (at same elevation.) No error reported, undo reports "undo join", yet no join ever seems to have occured. Regardless, creating a retaining wall from single curved section does not produce any site modification as above either.

In attached screen shot 2, the building floors do not overrule / modify site model which is visible through the structure.

When the 2D contour style is set for colored elevation, the site model is filled in solid black - a reflection of the max elevation color set in the Site Analysis tab of Site Model Settings>Graphics - no pretty 3D grading :(

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Nik

Edited by Plutonian

When you make a change to the site model you need to update the model by selecting it and pressing update on the Object info pallet. Did you do this?

When I place walls in a model I will draw a polyline that reflects the shape>create objects from shapes, and select wall. The result is a curved wall that is quite easy to produce. After that I select all the wall segments in the newly produced wall and select create retaining wall site modifier and get the elevation relatively close.

Once that is in place you have total control of the vertices which control wall height, footing depth, were the soil behind the wall will hit. I work in wireframe at this point so it's easy to see all the components. If your in open GL you can use the B key to see thru components which is pretty cool.

When you make a change to any site modifier just remember to update the model in order to see the changes. Also look at what your 3d setting are in your model, is it set to existing or proposed? The site modifier also has settings to effect either so these should also be check...hope that helps.

Check that the Site Model is set to: 2d Display=Proposed + Existing; 3d Display=Proposed. You can do this is the Object Info Palette (OIP). Also check that whatever Site Modifiers you have placed are set to an accurate elevation in relation to the site model.

For what it's worth, I usually prefer to modify the terrain using Pads and Grade Limits, then add Walls and other other objects.

Yes, site model 2d and 3d are both set to proposed, and elevation of created walls by each method is proximate - yet no modification to site model.

also the issue with joining the curved walls would be good to resolve as I then wish to create a stepped retaining wall (down to lower elevation at front ends.) I can try this using above suggested polyline tool, but not sure that's going to change the basic problem of non modification of site model...

(I then also have to figure out how to angle this wall (at 25?) - I tried this with the Landscape Arc Wall tool which gives me pitch options in the info palette, but that automatically sets base depth.)

There's also this issue of site model showing through floors of structure and colored elevations showing solid black (all max elevation instead colored contours)

Any thoughts on that stuff!?

Thanks ;)

Nik9 I think Peter nailed it. Your images look like the walls and buildings have no Pad modifiers under them or Grade Limit modifiers around the Pads. A Pad's z value would often be same as bottom of concrete slab under the building or base of wall. The Graders would be just slightly larger than the Pads.

Note - Pads are not allowed to intersect each other. Grade Limits have to fully surround one or more pads, and are not allowed to intersect other Grade Limits.

Test it in a duplicate file. In Top Plan, draw a rectangle around the garage slab. Use the Objects from Shapes and pick Site modifier and accept the defaults. In the OIP change it to Pad, set the z value and pick Proposed. Update the site model - the proposed contours probably look a bit wonky. Do it again with a slightly larger rectangle surrounding the Pad, only change it to Grade Limit. Update again. Contours should look better.

-B

Ok thank you all - making some progress!

I managed to modify site model (using all of the above pointers - Object from Shape for pad, created a wall using Polyline and Object from Shape, then converted that to a Stepped Wall.) Now here's the rub...

!n the attached screenshot I have sketched in 2 retaining walls - one using the above method, and the other using the Landscape Wall Arc tool - what I'm after is something like a combo of the 2, i.e. a single depth (15"x12"x6" modular "Earthstone" block) stepped retaining wall with a 25? batter into the hillside. Any thoughts on that!!?

Lastly, 2D coloured contour still displays solid black (max elevation color) instead of graded green contours. Having to stick with 2D contours only.

Thanks once again for your generous support and guidance which is deeply appreciated :)

Looks lots better!

One option for the wall is to place a pad and grader at bottom of wall - same curved shape. Create a 3d model for each kind of block, and a symbol from each of those. Then model the wall by building it course by course - block by block or a Duplicate Along Path strategy.

Another option is to create a new texture from an image or drawing of a block wall, and apply it to a properly shaped landscape wall.

Re symbols - When multiple instances of an object are required in a drawing, create a symbol of the object and make instances of the symbol. This saves file size, and shortens redraw & render times.

Not sure about that black. Anyone?

-B