section viewports on design layers

mchev

How do I get building section viewports on design layers so I can do wall sections & section details on a separate 1:10 or 1:20 layer over top of the design layer with the section viewport.

There are several issues:

1] Why can't the section viewport have the same control options as when it is on a sheet layer - particularly to retain its render mode?

2] I found I can do a "saved view" to save the render mode of the section viewport on the design layer, but this seems a very convoluted way to work.

3] What are the best settings for the section viewport on the design layer [when using it as a background for a detail section] ?

With "hidden line" many edge lines still don't seem to show up.

On a sheet layer I can do a foreground render to show lines for all surface edges, but that is not an option on a sheet layer.

I've had the same issues mchev and from discussions with our VSS rep I don't think there is a solution - it is a good example of VW not really understanding architectural workflow, if we want a flattened section on a design layer it is to overlay as you describe and potentially reference into other files, if you are overlaying that will be in 2D so you want to be working in top/plan view for full 2d functionality but the flattened section then displays in wireframe which is useless. We have abandoned using it.

Tim - thanks for the comments. I am VW 2014-sp4 by the way.

When you say you have abandoned this, how then do you draw 2D wall sections and details?

I don't want to draw the whole section in annotation mode as that is so clunky.

Do you use some "export to lines" [also clunky] or similar as a guide behind, or just draw them without a guide?

Hi,

Yes, not having a saved viewport cache saving it's render state is really annoying. If I do use it, I tend to convert a copy of the Viewport to linework.

When it was announced, I thought it would solve so many issues. Especially for those that are not 3D literate?to be able to trace over a pre-setup flattened VP sounded great. But without the option to have a rendered hidden line version and is able to be saved in a consistent render state, it doesn't solve the issue it should have addressed.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I found this older thread about creating wall sections from a building model. Does anyone have any luck creating them with Design Layer Section Viewports?

I would love to see a Vw presentation on creating 2d Wall Sections from a 3d Model because I'm not clear on the best way to do it.

For all the reasons stated above, the only way I can see making 2d wall sections is to create Section Viewports on a Sheet Layer and do a bunch of Viewport Annotations. That or convert a copy of  SL Section Viewports to Lines and use that as a sketch background to be used in a completely separate 2D Wall Section file.

Thanks in advance.

@JimW- can you fix the attachments in this thread? Thx.

12 hours ago, rDesign said:

For all the reasons stated above, the only way I can see making 2d wall sections is to create Section Viewports on a Sheet Layer and do a bunch of Viewport Annotations. That or convert a copy of  SL Section Viewports to Lines and use that as a sketch background to be used in a completely separate 2D Wall Section file.

Other than needing manual coordination of drawing tags I don't see the problem with tight crops section veiwports heavily annotated for details. 

I am happy to report there has been functionality added since Vectorworks 2016. I have been using it successfully to trace over. The two features that come to mind are – :

• You can now display the viewport as 'Flattened'. This will cause the viewport to remember it's section view and Hidden Line render setting in Top/Plan view. 
  • Additionally, geometry beyond the Section plane can be hidden. This is great for converting to linework or polygons for detailing. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/5/2016 at 12:03 PM, Diamond said:

I am happy to report there has been functionality added since Vectorworks 2016. I have been using it successfully to trace over. The two features that come to mind are – :

• You can now display the viewport as 'Flattened'. This will cause the viewport to remember it's section view and Hidden Line render setting in Top/Plan view. 
  • Additionally, geometry beyond the Section plane can be hidden. This is great for converting to linework or polygons for detailing. 

Hope that helps. 

I am sitting in VW 2018 and trying to do as described above by @Diamond, but it does not seem to work. I have several issues with it, including the following:

- I can't make a section viewport from a sheet directly to a design layer. When I attempt to do so, it makes the section, but it is still viewed as a plan

- If I create a viewport with a plan drawing with which I want to make a section, directly on a design layer, the line where the section is cutting, is off by app. 5000 mm. So I need to drag the line around to get it to make a section where I want it to. 

- And when I have finally made the section, the graphics goes crazy. It flickers and I can only see the whole drawing and the objects beyond the viewing plane, when zooming far out.

Are there anyone who have found an easier way to make a section viewport on a design layer in VW 2018?

Thank you in advance.