Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite Beta

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Testing here printing an exported PDF from Adobe Reader XI on OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 (on an HP LaserJet one that supports 10.10) I no longer see the garbled text.

I have seen reports that users with older versions of Adobe Reader or Acrobat having problems but not after they updated to the latest Adobe Reader version, so I am not sure whether the issue was fixed in 10.10.2 or in Adobe Reader Xi or the current version of Acrobat. But it appears to be gone here.

Note: Make sure your printer is compatible with 10.10 before updating, there are often issues where the drivers are not up to date or available at all for certain models.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you please confirm a couple items as I am still very hesitant as one of my main tasks is to send my drawings as PDFs to others (non-vw-users and sometimes not very computer savvy people either).

1. It sounds like the Exporting to PDF has been resolved to make a clean PDF.

2. It sounds like Printing to PDF through also works.

3. I need to check with my printers first to make sure they support 10.10 before updating - Could you please let me know how to do this?

4. Then I need to update to 10.10.2 and Adobe Reader Xi.

5. Once I'm in the clear and updated, I will have no problems printing to my own computers. However, if I'm in an industry where I am changing offices a lot and don't always know my future printers, I could potentially run into a problem in the future - would you recommend waiting to upgrade still? Or is the only resolution to this to only work with 10.10 compatible printers?

6. If I send out my PDFs to others, will someone else have trouble printing them if their printers or updated Adobe Readers are not in the clear? Would there be a work-around option I could offer them if those 2 attempts don't work? (I'm worried I would be sending out files that would not be printable to others)

All of these variables still make me very nervous to upgrade, yet I'm not sure how long I should wait or if these items will be resolved in the near future. Please let me know what you recommend.

3) For HP for instance, you would visit their site, search your model, then there will be a technical specification page of some kind, it will explicitly list what OSes its compatible with. If it DOESNT say 10.10 explicitly, its a gamble.

5) If you gave someone a PDF and they had a printer that wasnt compatible with 10.10 and they tried to print it, they might have problems, yes. But theres nothing you could do about that directly.

6) Not sure of a work around, there are 3rd party readers like CutePDF and Preview seems to work fine. If they're using incompatible hardware and software, they're running that risk and problems wouldn't be your fault.

What are the reasons you NEED to update? If not and there are these risk factors you are concerned about, sticking with your current working OS may be the better choice for you.

6. If I send out my PDFs to others, will someone else have trouble printing them if their printers or updated Adobe Readers are not in the clear? Would there be a work-around option I could offer them if those 2 attempts don't work? (I'm worried I would be sending out files that would not be printable to others)

I have a client to whom I was sending PDFs recently, and when they printed the text was all garbled. We didn't know why, and I hadn't seen this thread at the time.

My solution was to export the PDFs again from Vectorworks, this time checking the option to Rasterize Text. Though this may have other disadvantages, it solved the issues we were having since it gives you reliable (though rasterized) text.

Thank you for all of your help and thorough answers.

I suppose my main reason to want to update is just to stay current with everything. I don't like to fall behind on updating software with any device for too long as that also causes problems eventually. (Plus the Yosemite upgrade is being offered for free at the moment and that isn't always the case).

I'll keep checking back in with these boards, check all my printers, and wait a hot minute to make any decisions. I hope the last few kinks get worked out so we can all confidently upgrade.

• 2 months later...

Now that they have released the SP3 update, have any of the remaining Yosemite compatibility issues been resolved?

Or are all of the remaining issues considered to be 3rd party issues (non-compatible printers and outdated Adobe Readers)

Has the color picker issue been resolved?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I am concerned about updating to Yosemite. I emailed VW tech support, and this is what Is got back:

------

This is the current status article, it will be update as things change.

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1279/Mac+OS+X+10.10+Yosemite+compatibility+with+Vectorworks

------

JimW: Can I assume that your answer, listed above, is more correct than this old tech bulletin is ? In other words, the pdf export and printing problems are either due to old printer drivers or old Adobe Reader software ?

The article is still correct. All the bugs we could fix on our end have been corrected, the remaining ones listed in the article are pending on Apple and Adobe tickets we have submitted, I have heard no changes so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...